Advanced search

XH and further education issue

(10 Posts)
SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 05-Aug-16 12:34:41

Ex husband has 'informed' me that he is not obliged to pay maintenance for DD18 from the point at which the Child Benefit stops, in September. She is hoping to go to uni then, grades permitting. Does this sound right, or should this carry on to 19, as my friend has suggested? I realise that at the point she is at uni it makes sense to pay directly to her, but I think he may be trying to scam me for about 3 weeks maintenance. He has form for being tighter than a budgies bum, so is he actually right? Divorce forms just say we have sorted out the financials ourselves. Silly me, I thought that he could behave properly when it came to his only child!

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 05-Aug-16 13:19:36

Have also posted this in Legal btw. Anyone? TIA

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 05-Aug-16 13:32:18

Child benefit ends on the 31st August after they finish education, so yes maintenance ends then too.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 05-Aug-16 13:35:10

All education or statutory education Cat? Ie, does the uni make any difference? Thanks btw.

rainforests Fri 05-Aug-16 13:40:21

We got a 20 week run on with Child Benefit for DS after he left FE college by signing him up with Connexions, it actually ended before 20 weeks as he started uni but continued a few weeks later than the usual 31 August date.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 05-Aug-16 13:44:59

Statutory education. Higher education is a direct arrangement between the parent and child.

Marilynsbigsister Mon 08-Aug-16 22:58:37

There is no payment expected from the non resident parent for uni.nstudent finance is based on 'household income'. A NRP is not in the household. Child maintenance ends on same day child Ben ends.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 09-Aug-16 09:20:31

Ok, what you are saying is 'Suck it up, buttercup'. grin. Thanks all.

Marilynsbigsister Mon 15-Aug-16 08:59:50

I see what you are asking now... Thought from your OP that you were asking if he had an obligation to pay maintenance while child at Uni but when you mentioned 3 weeks it all became clear...

Maintenance is payable for children until the end of non-advanced education. That means up to the age of 20 as long as that course began before they were 19 AND its non advanced. Non advanced includes stuff like a levels and btecs - stuff that is studied in a sixth form or a further education/sixth form college.

In your case your daughter would have finished in May/June. You get a 'run on' through the summer holidays until 31/8 with the child benefit if you are in the income bracket to receive it. CSA (or whatever they call themselves now) use this date as the cut off.

TBH All of min had jobs from end of Alevels to Begining of Uni so the money from Dad wasn't missed.
Tell her to find a part time job and pay you some keep if you are struggling. She is an adult now after all and shouldn't be shielded from financial difficulties at this age.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 18-Aug-16 21:03:06

Thanks Marilyn. She is working, at a grotty pub chain, but I am a softy and can afford to keep her. Just annoying that her arse of a father is pulling this now. The fact that I am getting married again next year is entirely coincidental. Apparently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now