Advanced search

Grandparents access

(4 Posts)
amyjjj Mon 01-Aug-16 14:12:00

Can anyone tell me whether a contact arrangement between a grandparent and child would prevent one from travelling abroad?

And does anyone have experience of being taken to court by a grandparent for access?

I know she has a right to apply for leave to apply for access.

I'm losing sleep, my asthma is bad and I feel worried sick. My emotionally abusive mother who has had previous contact with my child is threatening court.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 01-Aug-16 17:11:43

If she is given permission to apply to court for contact.
If the she is given contact it is likely to mirror any contact she previously had.
So if she only had one afternoon once a fortnight this likely to be what she will get.
Gather together evidence you have text messages, emails etc. Think about why it would not benefit your DC to have contact.
But do not worry.

SharonfromEON Thu 04-Aug-16 00:08:22

what contact has she had and how long? She won't have pr so should have no right to decide if you go abroad..

My understanding is she can apply for a right to apply for contact..She would have to fund this herself..

Do you have concerns about her seeing GC ?

YourNewspaperIsShit Fri 12-Aug-16 18:51:28

Hi I fought my DD's paternal GP in court for access, they were emotionally abusive to me in order to try and gain custody (they claimed I wasn't stable and made fake calls to social services, etc)

They applied for permission to court but I had to say whether I'd allow it or not. Otherwise they'd have to appeal etc. Grandparents have very little rights so try not to panic as she is threatening things to try and make you slip up (anything she could use against you like shouting at her etc).

In the end they nearly got laughed out of court, I allowed them permission so it was over and done with quicker. They had absolutely no evidence except 'word of mouth' and false claims of neglect. Do you know what she intends to claim to demand access? If it's just "I should see my grandchild because shes blood" then that's not good enough for court. Although you will 100% be asked "why do you want to cut contact?" and will need to give a reason. You can't just not tell them because it's uncomfortable or anything.

If you had any proof that she is emotionally abusive then take it with you. The judge I had was fantastic and I made a Child Arrangements Order with their son (Dd's dad) and said they could see her under supervision but only in his designated days. They wouldn't give any access I didn't agree to. In your case I think you'll be allowed to cut contact altogether. She has absolutely no legal right to see your DC flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now