Advanced search

Name Change

(12 Posts)
3GirlsMum Sun 06-Jun-04 20:34:07

Hi. Im posting this on behalf of someone else and wonder if anyone can help. My friend has recently seperated from her ex and wants to know if she and the kids can revert to their old names. Herself and two of the kids changed to her ex partners name by deed poll whereas third child had his name on her birth certificate. Is she allowed to change her name plus other two names back to her maiden name?



Lisa78 Sun 06-Jun-04 20:37:46

Hi! She can change her name to whatever she pleases - I don't think she can change the childrens name without their fathers consent, but that depends on whether they were married, and if not, did he have parental consent and so on - I'm not up on this anymore!
She ought to see a solicitor really, get it done properly

lou33 Sun 06-Jun-04 22:30:55

You can legally call yourself whatever you like as long as it is not with intent to defraud. You don't need any official documents to do so, as long as you send a letter to the relevent people stating the name change

mopeep Mon 14-Mar-05 22:56:28

i think you need both parents consent or court action. i am trying to change my sons name but his dads name is not on birth certificate so i dont know much about that part.

simone131182 Sun 08-May-05 17:35:56

hi im new on here and you can change ur children's names i changed my daughters names by deedpoll without needing consent frm her father. However im not sure if i was able to do it because it was a domestic violence relationship or not. I hope u get it sorted out. If u go to a solicitor they will be able to tell u for sure. love simone xxxxxxx

rickman Sun 08-May-05 17:39:49

Message withdrawn

sansouci Sun 08-May-05 17:47:29

My mother & stepfather changed my name unofficially as my father wouldn't allow it legally. I was registered in school under my stepfather's name. I resented it terribly. Please ask your children whether or not they want to change their names!

simone131182 Sun 08-May-05 17:49:09

my ex didnt argue with me over it igot really nasty with him after what he did i think he deserved it but i sent him a copy of the name change deeds and told him and his girlfriend to stay out of my life and than was 2 and a half yrs ago he hasnt even tried to c my daughter she doesnt even ask for him i do feel bad but i couldnt put up with ex and his girlfriend beatiing me up in front of my daughter so i left the town and moved 60 odd miles away. I still keep contact with his mum so if he wanted to see her then he could x

sansouci Sun 08-May-05 17:50:00

Or if they're too young to decide, don't change theirs until they are old enough. Don't mean to order you about but I feel very strongly about this because of the misery and grief it caused me (in my case).

simone131182 Sun 08-May-05 17:51:50

i do agree with u no that but in my case if i didnt then it would have caused so many problems for us
i do understand how u feel xxx

rickman Sun 08-May-05 17:52:29

Message withdrawn

simone131182 Sun 08-May-05 17:56:43

he was really nasty now we are so much better off without him my daughter taya is a completely different child now she is so much happier now and i am too x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: