Advanced search

housing benefit

(13 Posts)
ryanbeth1 Sat 25-Jun-16 17:37:19

Can anyone offer any light into this.... i''m a single parent my income has remained the same and my eldest child has just moved out after graduating and finding a job in another city. I informed them about him leaving they've sent me a letter informing me that my housing benefit has reduced by £100 per month due to him leaving! How can this be?? How can i possibly be left worse off with my son leaving? He worked part time while at uni and i had to provide them with his income so can't understand why they have reduced it now he's gone! Any info would be much appreciated as i have no idea how i'm going to make up the sort fall next week when my rent is due!

AndNowItsSeven Sat 25-Jun-16 17:41:26

Bedroom tax if in social housing .

ryanbeth1 Sat 25-Jun-16 17:56:25

I'm private, but it very much looks that way! Just been on their site and so cant' knock out the room but it appears that in 3 months when my twins turn 10 it will go back up again!! They are allowed their own room once they turn 10! Unbelievable!

AndNowItsSeven Sat 25-Jun-16 18:16:10

It's lha - local housing allowance if it's private, at least it goes at very soon.

ryanbeth1 Sat 25-Jun-16 19:06:13


Thanks very much. Thinking of appealing on the grounds that my twins can't share a room due to my daughter having arthritis and is up and down during the night and has 2 days of being ill after her weekly injections. Not sure it will hold any strength but worth a shot i think.

Lurkedforever1 Sat 25-Jun-16 19:25:51

Have you looked into discretionary housing payments? If not the contact details should be on your letters, or the council website etc.

It's usually a one off payment for a fixed shortish term, and it's meant to cover situations like yours, or eg someone losing their job and therefore having a gap between lha and rent. They are usually only short term, and how generous they are varies between areas and how much they have in the pot.

In your case you have the reason, and of course even if your dd didn't have health problems, it wouldn't be practical, cost effective or likely possible to move to a 2 bed till they are 10, then attempt to find a 3 bed in budget that takes hb. So you do meet that criteria.

The means criteria are also quite tough, you need to provide a breakdown of outgoings, and they have to agree you can't cut it back to cover part/all of the shortfall. If you are at all unsure do get help from the cab. In some areas if you write £25 for food for 3, and £5 for both kids at a club, they'll tell you to ditch the club, even though they'd accept £40 for food. And if you do it alone, include any evidence for anything they might question to save delay. Eg a broadband contract lasting another 6months etc, loan repayments, otherwise they'll write back saying to stop those payments and put it towards rent.

ryanbeth1 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:54:39

thank you so much for your advice. Will certainly look into it..

AndNowItsSeven Sun 26-Jun-16 11:57:52

Ryan if your dd receives dla middle or high rate then will get full HB. However you have to show medical evidence that your dd is up in the night and that your twin is affected. They are not concerned with your disabled dd only the impact on her twins sleep.
This is not something that is discretionary it is your right in law.

ryanbeth1 Sun 26-Jun-16 21:40:37

thank you... i have just got the forms for dla and they are mind blowing! Reading threw them thinking would she even qualify! How can i prove she's up in the night? Will they take confirmation from her consultant that she has a chronic illness?

AndNowItsSeven Sun 26-Jun-16 21:45:46

No not for the lha reduction not to be implemented she will need to be on dla middle or high rate. However for the discretionary payments then yes a consultants letter will be enough.
Definitely apply for dla it is very unlikely a child with arthritis would not have more care needs than the average child.
I have arthritis am sorry your dd has it such a painful condition for a young child flowers
This website takes you through the dla firm step by step it's excellent would recommend you take a look.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 26-Jun-16 21:48:32

Sorry I think maybe I misunderstood my answer about needed to be in receipt of dla was for HB purposes.
The dwp will take confirmation from your dd's consultant.

ryanbeth1 Sun 26-Jun-16 21:56:27

thanks so much! It's a horrible disease! Everyday is a surprise as to where it's going to attack next! yesterday we had a bulging eye after the connective tissues at the back of her eye flared. I'm so sorry you also suffer from this x

ryanbeth1 Thu 04-Aug-16 19:58:03

So just a wee update.... phoned HB told them that my twins can't share a room due to my daughters condition and she is up and down during the night and was told no problem just supply a letter from a health professional to confirm my daughters condition and the reason she can't share a room. GP and specialist nurse both supplied written statements about her chronic pain condition. I received a letter saying that i'm still not entitled to my daughter having her own room unless i was in receipt of the middle or high rate of DLA! Told them i had applied but was waiting a decision. They put a form in the letter for discretionary housing payment which could be paid for a maximum of 4 weeks. After looking at the form the information they wanted weighing up the time off work to get all of this along with the stress of filling out this form i thought what is the point for 4 weeks. They have now stopped HB because i haven't filled out the form for thier DISCRETIONARY payment!!!! Unbelievable!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now