Advanced search

Lagal aid?

(4 Posts)
starsong32 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:51:40

Hi can anyone help? My ex is really being difficult about contact with the children. He refuses to have them in a set routine - happy to see them only a few hours a week. I'm pushing for him to have them overnight. There is no reason why he can't. He just says that it was my decision to end the marriage and therefore it's my fault that I have the children on my own!! Can a solicitor force him to have the children more? Can I stop all contact until he agrees to my terms? Will I get legal aid? I would be so grateful for any advice X

PatriciaHolm Wed 08-Jun-16 22:35:26

You can't force contact, no,I'm afraid. No court can force someone to have their children; even if you get a court order which stipulates certain times, he can't be forced to have them then.

And legal aid is unlikely unless there was provable domestic violence (emotional and/or physical).

starry0ne Fri 10-Jun-16 21:35:27

You can't force him to have overnight..I am not sure I would want my DC saying with someone who doesn't want them.

You would be unreasonable to stop based on it isn't long enough.. Do you mean contact is at random times because I don't think you are unreasonable to say DC are available every ... let me know if you will be taking up with at least ... hours notice.. It sounds like game play and punishing you but cutting contact is adding to using the kids in this.

Lelloteddy Sat 11-Jun-16 12:32:34

You can't force him to have them more, and you have no grounds for stopping contact.

Go and see a solicitor and get some advice about formalising contact days and times. Focus solely on it being for the benefit of the children, to give them stability and routine. A solicitors letter may be all it takes to get him to focus on the kids rather than punishing you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now