Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving house with a young baby

(9 Posts)
ToffeeApple1 Sun 05-Jun-16 14:20:10

Hi, I am a single mum with an 11 month old DD. I don't have any family where I live or close friends and I have an opportunity to move almost 200 miles away to be near close family who will be wonderfully supportive. The thought of moving house with a young child though is so daunting. My DD is crawling and is into everything at the moment. She is totally restless, easily bored and needs to be constantly entertained. I guess pretty normal for her age, but I am finding things very tough at the moment. How on earth can I cope with moving house on top of looking after her? I have no help or support where I live. Am I mad to even consider moving? I am desperate to do it though as I am so isolated and unhappy where I live and I know that my DD and I will both have a much, much better life if we move.

Can anyone offer any words or advice or encouragement? Thank you.

Normandy144 Sun 05-Jun-16 14:25:32

Short term pain, long term gain. Yes it will be tough but you can do this. Pack boxes when she's in bed at night. If you need to, put her in a play pen to contain her with some toys while you get on. You say you are moving to be closer to your close family who will be supportive of you. Is there any chance they can physically help you with the move? I'm sure they would if it means having you nearby?

ToffeeApple1 Sun 05-Jun-16 14:31:51

Thanks Normandy, I appreciate your words of encouragement and advice. My family have offered to come down and help me on the actual day of the move, which will be brilliant, but they can't come down before then, due to their work commitments. I worry about how I'll do things like get all the boxes down from the loft and stuff, but maybe that can all be done on moving day.

Normandy144 Sun 05-Jun-16 14:41:26

That's great you have help on the day. You can totally do this! Save tricky jobs like trips up to the loft for when she naps or is in bed. I've moved once trans-Atlantically with a 14 month old (admittedly I do have a DP) and then again within the UK with a 3 yr old and 2 month old. It's only for a short time, let your standards slip a little. Do try to corner off an area for her if you can, so she can crawl about in safety and you can get on.

starry0ne Sun 05-Jun-16 21:47:15

I left my ex and went in a refuge when my DS was 10 months old then moved into our own house when we were 15 months old.

It was tough my DS had seperation issues so I literally when unloading the car had him sat in the high chair on front garden and unload the car in stages.

Use travel cots..Use the Tv if it will work.

I did it completely on my own decorated when he was asleep., built furniture. I had an hour I could make as much noise as possible and it wouldn't wake him so drilling was done then.. I look back and it was tough but doable. If you can get a friend to have him for an hour get down from loft or put DD somewhere safe whether it a cot, play station, even if she cries for a few minutes she will be fine.

Its doable and sounds worth it..You will be very proud looking back at yourself and sounds like happier and more supported

milkyman Tue 07-Jun-16 09:13:39

Could you contact your children centre - some have Homestart which can offer help i think?

milkyman Tue 07-Jun-16 09:16:20

www.home-start.org.uk

Here is the link - they may be able help with baby while you pack? Dont know loads about but worth a call?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 07-Jun-16 10:46:39

Get a quote from a removal firm with and without packing. Packing is only costing me £150 seems like money well spent.

ToffeeApple1 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:36:06

Thank you all for your advice and sharing your personal stories. I feel more confident now that I can do it. I know it will be tough but it will be worth it in the long run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now