Advanced search

Council housing if suffering domestic abuse?!

(6 Posts)
elliemichelle123 Thu 02-Jun-16 01:39:01

I have no idea where to post this thread but am in hope that some one can advise me on my current situation.

I have a 20 month old LO and we were staying at my parents sharing a room. I have been bidding on the council as a band b (lacking a bedroom) since Jan 2015.

My step dad is a very aggressive alcoholic, the moment he walks in the door the house is a horrible place to be in, there have been times where he has slapped my mum, had her by the throat and everyday there is aggressive shouting. A few years ago I was hit, dragged down the stairs by him ect I learnt that staying locked in my room was the best thing to do. Since having my Lo the moment he walks through the door I lock the room and don't come out until they have gone to bed. Over the past month I have had a complete relationship breakdown with my mum who says she wants me and LO out but is refusing to right a letter of eviction. I have since been sofa surfing with LO staying at friends and grand parents who have been so helpful but have made it clear it cannot be long term. I have never mentioned to my council about the domestic abuse towards my mum as I am petrified they'll get social services involved to take my Lo or involve local authorities which will aggravate the situation. No police reports have been made and I'm reluctant to involve them my self in fear of my mums safety.
If I inform the council of my situation do they have a duty to Inform social services and if they place me in a b&b do I have to take it or can I find my own b&b to stay in?? The local b&bs are over an hour and a half away from me with busses and I cannot stay at them during the day.

If someone can help, has been in or knows someone that has been in this situation I would really appreciate some advice as I'm petrified on what to do x

whattodoforthebest2 Thu 02-Jun-16 04:41:30

Goodness OP, what an awful situation to be in, you must be really scared and your poor LO.

Call Women's Aid on 0808 2000 247. It's a free 24 hour helpline. Tell them what you've posted here and they will help you. The most important thing is to get your LO out of this situation ASAP.

You need to act straight away. As long as you're doing your best to protect your LO, it isn't social services' job to take a baby away from its mum. They are there to make sure your baby's safe, which is why you need to call Women's Aid today.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Rainatnight Thu 02-Jun-16 05:14:49

Oh poor you. I agree that ringing Women's Aid is a good idea.

In terms of the council, your situation won't automatically entitle you to a council house. But if you've had to leave your home because of domestic violence, then they should treat you as homeless, and, because of your LO, you will be in priority need. This means that they must provide you with some accommodation, but as you say, this could be a B and B. Or they could help you with a rent deposit for a private rented sector tenancy. This all depends on where you are and what the housing situation is like. They won't want to take your child away because of this

VioletBam Thu 02-Jun-16 05:37:16

I second calling Women's Aid. They will get you out...into a temporary accomodation and from there, you will be priority for council housing.

Come back for more support OP it sounds terrible.

Loveplums88 Thu 02-Jun-16 13:05:31

Thanks so much for all your help, I am about to phone woman's aid. I was just so worried to mention anything about this as you hear such horror stories about social services. Its horrible situation to be in and the stress is getting unbearable. Thanks so much for your posts I really appreciate it x

whattodoforthebest2 Thu 02-Jun-16 17:00:49

Hi OP, I hope you sort something out quickly. What did WA say?

Maybe once you and your LO are a bit more settled, you can try and talk to you mum about her leaving too? It must be awful to see her being treated so badly. If she called the police on him, she could get an injunction to stop him coming near her. Just a thought.

Good luck, I hope you're ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now