Meeting boyfriend's kids for the first time

(3 Posts)
britchick77 Sun 29-May-16 20:07:28

So, I am meeting my boyfriend's kids next week for the first time (boys, age 7 and 8). He and his ex-wife divorced 3 years ago, and she has been with someone for a couple of years.

I am really, insanely, ridiculously nervous. I generally get on with kids (I have 5 godchildren but no kids of my own), but I tend to be a bit shy/reticent around them at first until I've sussed them out and vice versa. I err towards being distant rather than in-their-face.

I have no plans to get between them and their dad or create a new family unit - even after we meet the majority of the time he sees them will be without me. I just want us to be able to go out together and have fun and am obviously really keen to get this off to a good start.

Anyone share any experiences/tips of how to (or not to!) do this well? Any good stories or horror stories?

Thanks!
Jen

Buggers Sun 29-May-16 20:10:57

Maybe get them a little something to say thank you for having me over for dinner(or whatever your doing over there), boys are usually pretty easy to get on with in my experience so don't worry too much grin good luck

EquinoxBloom Sun 29-May-16 21:16:57

Just be mega chilled and done rush it. If they want to talk, they'll talk. If they want to hang back though, let them.

Don't be anything other than vaguely nice and agreeable at first. Just give them time. If they think you're desperate for approval I think it will be counter productive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now