becoming a lone parent..please share your wisdom!

(3 Posts)
1indsay Wed 25-May-16 12:05:05

Hello!

I'm in a position where, although I've never been romantically involved with my 12mo son's father (ok ok not including the night of conception and maybe one or two others), he has been very involved with his life up until now. We've actually been living in the same house, but with separate bedrooms etc and he's been at home a lot helping out. So in a way, I've been really lucky.

However, recently he met a woman online and is going to live abroad with her. With a few weeks notice. SO, my question is, can you think of any tips or advice for coping alone with my son?

He's just reaching an age where he gets bored and frustrated very easily, I find simple things like making dinner hard because he just wants to be held.

So far I bought a microwave, a toddler carrier...I'm arranging childcare with my mother...can you think of anything else?

I feel exhausted and somewhat anxious just thinking about this stuff!

Peace74 Wed 25-May-16 19:21:32

Just take one day at a time. It's going to be hard sometimes but you'll surprise yourself. Honestly at that age if you have a gate on your kitchen you can have him outside watching you. He will fuss at first but he will soon realise while your in the kitchen he needs to wait and it's not forever. I used to do a silly dance and faces etc while cooking give them pans and wooden spoons to bang. Or in the highchair.
If your organised you can prep and freeze food when they are asleep.
My youngest is three and when I'm cooking she still wants my attention, but I just need to do it or everyone will be hungry. You will be fine. Just try to be one step ahead. Organised if possible, and as happy as possible. When I'm stressed the kids seem worse. When I'm happy I can be more silly and turn grumpy kids more cheerful.
Good luck hope you feel less anxious soon.

Myusernameismyusername Wed 25-May-16 22:14:48

I found it hard at first with my 2 but now I can't imagine living with anyone again!
You will find your own groove, I promise you
Organisation is key. Mine are at school and I work so it's about putting in extra time in the evenings to make the mornings easier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now