Talk

Advanced search

where have you taken your DC on holiday?

(17 Posts)
Nonotmenori Sat 14-May-16 20:33:14

I'm toying with the idea of taking DS on holiday with me in November for a few days. I was looking at Dubai then saw the prices and realised I'd not won the lottogrin

Where is good for sun and fun for kids for a few days? Where have other single parents taken their children? How did you cope? This will be my first holiday abroad without family or friends and I'm nervous, but it's something I have to just do.

Budget is about 1500 then whatever spending money probably about another grand.

meatloaf Sat 14-May-16 20:46:10

How old is your ds? I am assuming not of school age.

First time I took DD overseas was to Portugal when she was 3.5 in October weather was nice but pool wasn't heated. Went to Lanzarote in June the following year when she was 4 and it was lovely. She really enjoyed it and the weather was. These were out of school holiday and from what I remember pretty cheap. I think Lanzarote was around £900 for h/b.

You will be fine. I love going on holiday with DD. It's a real joy to travel together. I was anxious about making all the decisions alone to begin with but wouldn't have it any other way now.

Nonotmenori Sat 14-May-16 23:53:47

He is 5. I'm trying to think where is hot in November. Spain wouldn't be would it? I just can't think. Thinking maybe Greece? Or is that not a good place? I just can't think!

madmother1 Sat 14-May-16 23:55:57

Mine where a lot older when I ventured abroad as a singleton. I've been to Kefalonia, Crete x 2, Belgium and Italy. You'll be fine xx

madmother1 Sat 14-May-16 23:56:44

We loved them all. The folks abroad love children smile

CremeEggThief Sun 15-May-16 00:00:36

My DS was 9 the first time we went away without his dad, XH.
We have been to
Ireland (several times)
Majorca
Ibiza
Lanzarote
Portugal

As well as London several times, Bristol, Edinburgh, Whitby, Northumberland and the Isle of Wight.

madmother1 Sun 15-May-16 01:19:12

Just to add. Always treat your holidays as an adventure. We always manage to sort ourselves out and find places. It does make me laugh when we arrive at a new destination and the kids ask "which way". I have to remind them, that I've never been here before. My DS has stopped coming now and is going on adventures by himself with his own pals.

anontoday23 Sun 15-May-16 07:48:36

Are you going I October half term or later in November?

LeonoraFlorence Sun 15-May-16 07:51:11

Canary Islands should be a good temperature in November. Spain will be pretty cold I'd think.

sunnyday35 Sun 15-May-16 08:03:11

November sun is hard- canaries / Cyprus are fine but it's not going to be really warm. I've been to a few places there. Depends on what you want. I went to an all inclusive place near ayia napa that was fab for my 5 year old, he really loved it and there was plenty for him to do and I could sit and read by the pool. Good food. Nice beach nearby. Was a relaxing resort holiday rather than cultural! Was the Olympic lagoon resort.

wannabestressfree Sun 15-May-16 08:14:20

Florida?

pearlylum Sun 15-May-16 08:25:10

You won't get anywhere hot in the mediterranean in november. Greece will be cold, 11 degrees or so, and many resorts close down , restaurants get refurbished, cafes closed, too cold for the beach or outdoor swimming. You will have to head further afield, Canaries is your nearest and cheapest option.
Is there a reason you want to go in November?

pearlylum Sun 15-May-16 08:26:42

i would suggest all inclusive too- great for little ones. food can be a bit repetitive, but less hassle for a parent, and doesn't stop you from eating out elsewhere if you want to.

Nonotmenori Sun 15-May-16 10:36:12

November is the only time I can do it. It's not ideal so close to Christmas, but it's now or never. I really wanted to do 3 days in Dubai but when I looked at the prices of swimming with dolphins the cost was £150 each which is madness for 30 mins. Does anyone roughly know how much I'd need for Dubai? I've been to gran canaria twice now. And I love it, but wanted something different which wouldn't break the bank too much. I'd love to go to Florida, but it's only 3-4 days and it wouldn't be worth the flight for such a shirt amount of time.

Thank you all for the replies

sunnyday35 Sun 15-May-16 13:44:24

I think you could do Dubai with your budget. Try best at travel. If it's not half term it won't be so expensive. You need to go that distance to get the warmth really.

wannabestressfree Sun 15-May-16 14:42:58

It virgin. And pay more for the hotel eg going 5 star and you get lots of extras....my friend went and didn't leave the hotel there was so much to do.

getlostdailyfail Sun 15-May-16 14:44:40

Could you go in Sep instead? There's a lot more options then, as it's warmer. I know a lovely place that should come in budget for you. It's an all inclusive 5 star resort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now