Ex still giving 4 yo a bottle

(4 Posts)
AKP79 Tue 23-Feb-16 07:01:24

Just that really. I've just found out that when myDS stays at his dad's he's still given a baby bottle before bed. We stopped this about 18 months ago, so it was quite a shock to hear.

I'm not going to raise it with my ex, there's no point he'll just get defensive and use it as a reason to cause an argument. DS doesn't ask for one at home (until last night and he accepted it when I said no).

I'm assuming that one day DS will just decide he's too old and stop. It's just annoying because I discussed dropping bottles with my ex and he supported it. It was a massive battle at the time with DS - I now suspect the mixed messages was part of the problem!

Just using here as a space to vent.

Earlyday Thu 25-Feb-16 23:40:52

My niece used to enjoy a bottle of milk at night at 5 years of age - maybe even older. She was a bit self conscious and would hide away to have it. She had a little sister who was on bottles so she got the idea there.

Now at 9 she's perfectly well adjusted and gave up the bottles a long time ago.

PeppermintPatty1 Thu 25-Feb-16 23:51:22

My daughter struggled to give up her bottle and it became a really big issue for her. We got there eventually but she's not touched a drop of milk since. He accepted you saying no so hopefully it won't crop up again. For our daughter it was wanting to do sleepovers without the bottle that made the difference in the end.

FinallyGotAnIPhone Fri 26-Feb-16 20:12:51

It's annoying isn't it. My ex used to give my DD a dummy for about a year after I'd stopped it at my house. Ditto the bottle (this is when she was 2 not 4 but the principle is still the same). I now try not to get too stressed about how we each have different routines and make it clear what the rules are at my house even though it is really f'ing annoying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now