Talk

Advanced search

Is this discrimination against single parents and if so what can I do about it?

(27 Posts)
MatildaMay Sun 14-Feb-16 07:22:08

There’s a new leisure centre opening shortly very close to where I live. Yesterday I called in at their information office and had a chat with someone about the facilities offered (sounds fantastic!) and membership options. As I work for the council I get a discount on membership and it would cost me £25.80 a month for swimming, gym and classes. My young teenage son is also interested in joining and membership for him would be £18.50 a month which is for swimming and specific teenage gym sessions. So for both of us the total per month would be £44.30.

I asked about family membership and was told it’s £51.60 a month for 2 adults and unlimited children within the same family. This seems very unfair as there is nothing similar offered for single parents. As a single parent on one income with one child it’s going to cost me almost as much for membership as a family with 2 adults and unlimited children. What do you think? Has anyone come across anything similar and managed to sort out a solution?

Seriouslyffs Sun 14-Feb-16 07:28:30

Just ask. Explain that you both want to join, that it's too expensive, that as there's only one parent the family offer is no advantage and what can they do?
Discrimination isn't illegal! Going in all guns blazing won't get results.

MatildaMay Sun 14-Feb-16 07:34:02

I did ask and was told there was no family membership available for one adult and one child and we'd have to get separate memberships. It just seems so very unfair!

allegretto Sun 14-Feb-16 07:45:43

I don't think it's discrimination - if you were two adults and one child it would cost more so they can afford to offer a discount. Either way - it's a really great deal.

Candycoco Sun 14-Feb-16 07:47:24

Yes I pay similar for myself and my daughter at our leisure centre gym as a lone parent.

Same with days out, most places do a family ticket for 2 adults + 2 children, but very few to 1 adult + however many children for example. Very annoying.

MatildaMay Sun 14-Feb-16 07:50:15

Just thought, if I was buying membership as a single parent with two children it would actually cost more than a family membership of 2 adults + unlimited children. Really doesn't seem right!

MatildaMay Sun 14-Feb-16 07:51:27

Yes, Candycoco, it is very annoying that single parents can't take advantage of family offers!

hesterton Sun 14-Feb-16 07:53:38

Can you find another single mum and child/children combo and take out family membership together? They can't disciminate against a same sex family!

hesterton Sun 14-Feb-16 07:54:50

(I'm assuming they don't say you have to live at the same address as your gym partner and her kids).

Chicagomd Sun 14-Feb-16 07:55:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MatildaMay Sun 14-Feb-16 07:56:43

Hesterton, I asked about that and apparently the children have to be from the same family!

bb888 Sun 14-Feb-16 07:57:22

If you were buying as a single parent with 2 children you would buy a family membership surely? Because its cheaper than the individual equivalents?

insancerre Sun 14-Feb-16 07:58:10

I really don't get the issue
You already get a discount as you work for the council. What you are paying for your family is less than the family membership cost

StealthPolarBear Sun 14-Feb-16 08:01:19

"Discrimination isn't illegal!"
Yes of course it is illegal. However I'm not sure this is discrimination, if you wanted to argue it, it would be on grounds of sex as women are more likely to be single parents. Whether it's discrimination or not it seems mean of them. I often see family tickets offered for a price per 2 adults or a price per one adult

MatildaMay Sun 14-Feb-16 08:04:59

Insancerre, my issue is that there is no family membership for a single adult with unlimited children as is offered to two adults which seems very unfair. If I was in a relationship and had children membership would only cost a few pounds a month more and then there would be two adults splitting the cost instead of just one.

Ginmakesitallok Sun 14-Feb-16 08:06:44

Discrimination isn't illegal unless it's on the basis of one of the protected characteristics. I don't think that this would be discrimination on the basis of sex as I assume 2 female parents or 2 male parents would get the discount?

StealthPolarBear Sun 14-Feb-16 08:08:24

Ok were using the term differently. Imo discrimination is illegal by definition else it's just unfairness.

MatildaMay Sun 14-Feb-16 08:10:02

Maybe I should have used the term unfair instead of discrimination. It certainly is unfair!

bb888 Sun 14-Feb-16 08:21:36

Can you try and find a single adult who would like subsidised membership?

mollie123 Sun 14-Feb-16 08:24:19

Being single (not necessarily a single parent) and trying to access any discounts / holiday deals (price based on a couple sharing hmm) is also unfair but not discrimination.

KaraokeQueenOfTheNorth Sun 14-Feb-16 08:24:46

I'm not sure I see how your situation is unfair, sorry. If I joined that gym with one of my children, I'd pay the same as you are paying with your son. If my husband and I both joined, we'd get a family membership which costs more than just one adult and one child.

I guess if you were a single parent and you wanted to join with four kids but they wouldn't let you have the family package as there is only one adult, THAT would be unfair. Most family deals say 2 adults/2 children or 1 adult/3children. I wouldn't expect the cinema, for example, to have a discount on one adult and one child just because that child only has one parent?

do you want a single parent discount on a one adult one child membership? Or do you think there should be another separate pricing structure for one adult and x amount of children? I just hope you are not trying to "discriminate" against parents who are married to someone who doesn't want to join the gym IYSwIM

MatildaMay Sun 14-Feb-16 08:40:31

I think there should be family memberships available for one adult and x number of children as there is for two adults and x number of children. Family membership with just one adult should cost less. As stated, for myself and my son it will cost only a few pounds a month less than for a family with 2 adults and however many children. Yet again families with one parent are disadvantaged.

It's just the same situation with family holidays. I've had to pay adult prices for my son to go abroad before he even started school.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 14-Feb-16 08:44:02

Matilda there are some companies who do offer memberships for single parents ( historic royal palaces would be one that springs to mind), but it will all come down to how much they want your business as to whether they are prepared to adapt.

Chicagomd Sun 14-Feb-16 09:01:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moreisnnogedag Sun 14-Feb-16 09:10:28

But surely you'd just get the family membership if you had extra children? And put your mom or whoever down as the extra adult?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now