Advanced search

DD changing her name, DexP is dead, any experience?

(5 Posts)
FrameyMcFrame Tue 19-Jan-16 20:04:51

DD's Dad died ( we were not together) and now (3 years later) she wants to change to my surname, which I fully support as its her decision. She's 14.

Problem is, we don't have a copy of the death certificate as ex partner's family are very difficult. I have contacted 2 solicitors but had no luck with help so far.

Anyone know what I can do?

VimFuego101 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:15:25

Can't you order death certificates online from the GRO?

WhatsGoingOnEh Tue 19-Jan-16 20:19:17

Do you need the certificate? Do you have to prove he's dead? I'd ring the Register office in the town where he died and asked them how you get a copy (and explain why).

Worse case, she can change it without parental permission when she's 16.

3phase Fri 22-Jan-16 09:17:36

I don't think you need the certificate. My friend did this for her DD around the same age. She just filled in a deed poll form and made it clear there wasn't anyone else with PR who needed to agree on the form. She then sent a copy of the form to school who started using the new surname and changed her DD's passport. That was literally all it took.

I'm not sure your exP would have PR anyway even if he was alive. If your child was born before 01.12.03 and you weren't married at the time of her birth, he wouldn't automatically have it. That was the case with my friend's DD.

Only people with PR have to agree to the name change.

Hope that helps.

FrameyMcFrame Fri 22-Jan-16 16:16:06

Thanks that really does help.

She was born 2001 and we weren't married.

Thanks for thatsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now