Advanced search

Moving abroad- can the father stop me?

(3 Posts)
AverageSnowflake01 Mon 28-Dec-15 23:18:07

In currently pregnant and due to give birth any day now. I'd like to move abroad to work in France within the next 5 years, so when my DC is 5ish. My relationship with the father has broken down in the last 2/3 months. We were together for 6 years. He has shown little/no interest in the baby for the last month or so and has made threats to make our lives hell. I no longer want to give my DD his surname and his name probably won't be on the birth certificate. I know the fathers name can't go on it unless they turn up to register the child's name and knowing him, he won't bother.

So if I do manage to secure a job in France, does he have any right to stop me taking my DD?

abbsismyhero Mon 28-Dec-15 23:19:39

if his name is on the birth certificate or he is granted parental rights yes he can

starry0ne Wed 30-Dec-15 18:33:10

There will be people on this forum who won't agree

Firstly I do think it is difficult to know what sort of a father he is going to make till LO is born..

You are going to have to separate your relationship with the ex and your little ones...

However as previous poster said if he is on birth certificate or applies to court you will need his permission to move.. or a court order..

If he is threatening to make your life hell though I would not invite him to be put on the birth certificate...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: