Advanced search

Housing benefit question

(13 Posts)
redsky21 Wed 23-Dec-15 17:52:44

Hi, I did write a previous post about my situation so sorry to post again but just wanted to ask a specific question on housing benefit.

Basically, my partner is leaving in the new year when he has found somewhere to live and I will need to claim housing benefit.

I have our tenancy agreement but it has both our names on it. Will the council accept this as proof of rent or will it need to be in my name only? At the moment I am unsure if my landlord will accept housing benefit and I'm a bit worried to ask.

I have read through the tenancy agreement, which was written by the agency and all it says is 'you must tell us if you start to claim housing benefit '. However we don't go through the agency anymore, just deal directly with the landlord.

Any advice appreciated.

Kikigetty Wed 23-Dec-15 17:57:05

As long as your LL accepts HB you can claim HB and council tax discount even if his name is still on the tenancy. My ex is yet to sign his off and i started the claim from when he left. Go to your local council offices and they will help you with the whole process. Sorry to hear that he is leaving. Hope you are okayflowerswine

redsky21 Wed 23-Dec-15 19:27:22

Thankyou, that's good to know.

I'm so worried the landlord is going to say I can't claim. I really don't know what I'll do if he does, apart from looking for somewhere else to live but I know how hard it can be to find someone that will accept it.

Tanito279 Wed 23-Dec-15 19:37:38

Housing benefit gets paid straight into your bank account. I'm fairly sure there is a tick box on the application which says "do not contact landlord". There is no reason for your landlord to know you're claiming.

chocdonutyy Wed 23-Dec-15 19:54:20

Not always, mine gets paid straight to the ha, every council has it's own rules though so worth checking out smile

redsky21 Wed 23-Dec-15 19:59:42

Would I not need to tell him my partner has moved out though?

Tanito279 Wed 23-Dec-15 20:39:19

Choc is right, every council is different. Telling the landlord is up to you, at least for a little bit. My ex and I stayed fairly amicable and the deposit was in his name, so when I finally moved out he gave half back. Bristol council accepted our joint tenancy with explanation that it was a trial separation and didn't request one in my sole had a private tenancy so the benefit went into my bank account (eventually, it took almost 3 months).
I know from personal experience that this is a really stressful time so good luck to you. Hope you're ok.

Teddingtonmum1 Thu 24-Dec-15 00:21:03

As long as you tell them that his left & supply them with his forwarding address it should be fine. The only thing to be aware of is housing benefit is paid in arrears not in advance so you make have to find some cash to make up the missing payments until the claim is in payment.

redsky21 Mon 28-Dec-15 00:39:05

So you think its ok not to tell the landlord, to just go ahead and start the claim? I don't want to get in any trouble, but surely as long as he's still getting the rent every month it shouldn't matter, right?

Louloujay Fri 01-Jan-16 18:41:49

Maybe it's not the right thing to do op, but that is what i have done. My ex has stayed on the tenancy whilst I claim housing benefit individually. My landlord does not know I claim housing benefits, and will hopefully not find out because he will kick us out for sure, for no other reason than he thinks those on HB are unreliable characters (his words!). People can look down on that if they like, but it's keeping a roof (well afforded and never been late on rent) over my girls head, or making the girls homeless whilst I battle for somewhere to rent that does accept HB, along with everyone else on HB here.

My ex has been happy for me to keep his name on the tenancy whilst I'm on maternity. When I return to work in Feb I'll be earning enough to pass the credit check on my own anyway so his name will come off then. Make sure you check the application form for the contact landlord tickbox.

redsky21 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:47:04

Thankyou, that's really helpful. I can't decide what to do for the best to be honest. Don't want to piss off the landlord as he seems a nice enough person, but also don't to risk him saying he won't accept hb and then having to find somewhere else to live!

womaninthewildsofwales Tue 05-Jan-16 16:01:52

as a housing officer in the past I would love to see a possession order granted on the basis that a tenant who is not in arrears is claiming housing benefit hmm Wouldn't happen. As a landlord myself now I would rather you didn't tell me that you had started to claim housing benefit unless expressly told to do so at the onset of the tenancy- this is purely because if I am aware I should tell my insurance company and mortgage provider... both of whom will be arseholes unnecessarily about housing benefit and I don't actually think it is any of my business providing you are paying the rent and staying otherwise within the terms of the tenancy agreement smile

samp75 Sat 05-Mar-16 00:41:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now