Talk

Advanced search

First Christmas waking up alone

(17 Posts)
unicornspooprainbows Fri 04-Dec-15 06:37:22

3 Christmases since divorce, this will be first one without waking in an empty house first one spent night with an online fling who was in same boat, which was awkward as I bought him a token present to open in morning and he got me fuck all

This year I am wondering whether to have a "pre-Christmas day" for me and DCs so the day before Christmas Eve, wake up - do big presents (save smaller ones for actual day), have full Christmas dinner, watch Christmas films etc. get chance to play with presents. Actual Christmas Day Dcs arrive to me Christmas Day at 12, then we are travelling 3 hours to my DPs, for few days for the festivities.

What does everyone else do??

unicornspooprainbows Fri 04-Dec-15 06:39:15

Meant to say first one without DCs, first one waking up to an empty house 🙈

Mrswinkler Mon 07-Dec-15 08:03:09

Sorry you've had no replies....

Do you normally enjoy the days you wake up with the house to yourself? I know I do. If that's the case then put the Christmas stuff aside and treat it as one if those days. You've the choice of spending it having a lovely lazy morning with treats and breakfast in bed or just get up and do something random like clearing out that cupboard you've been meaning to do for ages.

Have a hug anyway, it's a Monday morning after all.

fieldfare Mon 07-Dec-15 08:13:33

Yes definitely have your own Xmas day on Xmas eve or the day before. What about a theatre trip too if there's anything available near you?

As for Xmas morning, plan yourself a really nice breakfast, have a lie in, nice hot soak in the bath and 12 will come round quick as a flash!

Sunflowersmiling Thu 10-Dec-15 06:59:27

We are making big deal of Christmas eve. DS doesn't sleep at his dad's..but he's going xmas day. So Christmas Eve is our new celebration. In fact we started celebrating already smile

ConfusedNoMore Thu 10-Dec-15 08:26:01

Just place marking till later...flowers

Off to work in sec but will post.

unicornspooprainbows Thu 10-Dec-15 13:46:17

Thanks everyone, only just seen these. smile

I'm just going to treat it like any other day (bath and breakfast sound fab idea though!), we'll have had our 'Christmas day' day before Christmas eve so I'm not going to get stressed about it. Since the divorce I've not exactly been a Christmas fan anyway, and this year has been horrendous for me so just drawing a line and looking forward to 2016!

ConfusedNoMore Thu 10-Dec-15 18:58:14

Hey unicorn. I'm on second Xmas since split. Last year I was at parents with DS. Ex was on his own shagging his girlfriend

This year we're splitting day but opposite to you. I get Christmas morning. DS going to dad's family on afternoon and for his lunch, and overnight.

Then I collect DS next day to travel to see my family.

So I'm alone for Xmas afternoon/evening.

I'm planning lovely walk with dog. Chatting on phone to loved ones. Eating non traditional Xmas dinner (not decided what yet) . Drinking, eating chocolate, watching loads tv and having lovely long sleep! Think I'll be fine.

I think you have to enjoy your family time with dcs on Christmas eve or before as you suggest, then enjoy your own time hopefully. Lie in, nice food, telly or treat self to new book for Christmas or even go out somewhere lovely and enjoy quiet.

I think we have to try not to hanker after the family Xmas we imagined and make sure kids are happy and we manage different kind of happy day for ourselves. It is after all just a day.

And yes, on to 2016 and better things too I hope winefsmile

unicornspooprainbows Thu 10-Dec-15 19:50:46

Hi confused, thanks for this. It's good to know we are not alone. Perhaps all us 'alones for Christmas' should start a chat thread on Xmas day. smile
You are absolutely right, it's just another day after all. Couldn't have agreed more. santachocolatewinecake

ConfusedNoMore Sun 13-Dec-15 17:11:30

Well my arrangements are going down the pan as ex is a liar and likes playing games. He's shifting goalposts leaving me scared to let him take DS for Xmas as I'm not confident I'll get him back when we had agreed. fsad

He's now saying DS staying for lunch boxing day despite him already agreeing to me collecting him from in laws, en route to my family.

This would mean not arriving at my family's until evening, driving 100s miles in dark. It's all a game.

Can't be reasonable with a narcissist. He didn't get the row he wanted so he's had to try harder.

Sorry for rant. Need to vent! fangryfsad

unicornspooprainbows Sun 13-Dec-15 19:02:20

Oh no confused! What a complete arse! He can't just change plans like that!! Don't let him!

ConfusedNoMore Mon 14-Dec-15 16:48:51

Well not much I can do other than say no, stick to time I said and hope they answer the door. I've got my solicitor to send another letter today. I don't want to speak to him as its just opportunity for him to get at me.

I aim to develop Zen like immunity to fuckwittery by boxing day. fwinkchocolatewinewinewinechocolate

unicornspooprainbows Mon 14-Dec-15 22:37:12

Blimey what a cock....he sounds just like my ex. Knobheads. wink

ConfusedNoMore Tue 15-Dec-15 06:50:22

Thanks unicorn. See you in chat Xmas day then...--as long as I'm not too pissed to remember--fwink

ConfusedNoMore Tue 15-Dec-15 06:50:49

Oh cross out fail there. Oops!

PrizeyPrize Fri 25-Dec-15 08:48:23

Happy Christmas confused smilethankschocolate

ConfusedNoMore Fri 25-Dec-15 14:43:24

Thanks prizey. Very happy Christmas to you too fsmile and to unicorn star

Ex was a nob at pickup but had good walk with dog, a glass (OK 3) of prosecco and now I'm going to have a nap. Hope everyone is doing OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now