Advanced search

Deadbeat dad

(5 Posts)
Hawest1 Thu 26-Nov-15 23:09:01

My oldest son, now 3, hasn't seen his dad for over a year now.
I have been told that after a long period of time where contact hasn't taken place I can apply for his parental rights to be removed & therefore able to change my sons surname etc. Has anyone had experience with this?
I will of course seek proper legal advice nearer the time should I choose to go for it but I just wanted to know if any one had experience with this &/or any advice.
I'm not looking for criticism, there are a good few reason why I am considering this & to be honest I have pretty much gave up making an effort with that 'family' & my son is already asking questions such as 'why is my name different to urs & ds2' & sometimes gets a bit upset about it. (he is at nursery & has recently had a talk about family members etc to fill in a book, which is why he is aware of names being different)

Bellemere Fri 27-Nov-15 09:40:31

My understanding is that PR is only removed from a father in the most extreme of circumstances, where its actually a detriment to the child that the father has PR rather than the father just not utilising it.

You can change his surname by gaining agreement from the father or applying for a court order (£215).

I will never understand men that disappear from their children's lives. It is just dreadful.

Hawest1 Fri 27-Nov-15 14:22:00

I doubt he would ever agree to it. He is a complete waste of space to be honest. I went to get maintenance payments from him & he demanded a DNA test, we did our side & months later we r still waiting for him to do his side even though it was him that asked for it.
So I'm at my wits end with it all & just want everything to do with him to disappear, name included lol. Don't like it when my DS gets upset that his name is different to mine & It shouldn't be if his 'dad' is non existent.

charlybear7 Fri 27-Nov-15 22:07:37

Can I ask the process of changing your child's surname? It's just something I'm considering. Thanks.

Bellemere Fri 27-Nov-15 22:12:57

Without the fathers agreement? You would first need to attempt mediation and if (when) that failed, file a C100 setting out your reasons for it. It's not widely done as far as I'm aware. You'd have more success double barrelling the name rather than removing dads name completely. There are a few bits of case law - you can read more here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now