Talk

Advanced search

What did you use your sure start maternity grant on?

(7 Posts)
newmama91 Sat 08-Aug-15 15:40:19

I am not due until December so won't be applying for a while.

I haven't bought anything yet because I'm still in the process of finding a new place and after that I will be shopping for the baby so hopefully around October time.

I'm just wondering if you were given the grant what you spent it on?

On my wish list are all the basics ie

Pram
Cot
Toys
Clothes

Obviously all within the £500.

starlight2007 Sat 08-Aug-15 19:13:30

I remember buying a travel system.. can't remember what else.. Top tip..With Nappies.. For nappies Aldi are great.. I am a childminder so have seen lots of different nappies.. will save you a fortune on branded. Do look out for NCT sales and similar.. baby bundles on ebay close by so you can collect.

LiverMummy25 Sat 08-Aug-15 21:44:04

I was just searching for info on the grants and came across this thread. I cant apply until October either but I have most things priced up already. Oh is buying the pram so i'm not including that but so far have:

Crib
Cot
Baby monitor
Baby bath
Bedding
Bodysuits/outfits
Bouncer

Haven't decided on bottles yet and we already have quite a few nappies though will need more. I think i'll need much more bedding but it's so pricey. I'm getting most stuff from Babies r us it's actually quite cheap and have money left over from the list so I can get food, formula etc.

I thought it would be a lot just for the cot but there are so many bargains online.

reddaisy Sat 08-Aug-15 21:45:24

I didn't get a grant but I am very glad to hear that they are still going and haven't been cut yet. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancies.

twirlypoo Sat 08-Aug-15 21:51:59

Mothercare do (or used to do!) an essentials list, where you could buy all the baby essentials gradually and then pay for them all and have them delivered in one go. I got mattress, travel system and Moses basket I think.

The wardrobes and cot thing I sobbed over in mothercare because I couldn't afford them and in my hormonal state felt like Id failed my baby (ds slept in my bed until he was 2, and all his clothes folded and never went in his wardrobe!) but my mum saw this and said, "right, enough" and put it on her credit card for me. I was incredibly grateful.

Now I know better, I'd but all second hand and stress less. I wouldn't have listened to that advice when I was pregnant though!

traceybaybee Sat 08-Aug-15 22:22:54

With my grant i got a 2nd hand fridge for £70, 2nd hand icandy travel system for £180 and i gave the rest to my mum to put towards ds's nursery furniture

RabbitSaysWoof Sun 09-Aug-15 20:39:02

There was a great thread on here months ago about what to not bother with, things that were never used and things people didn't buy in the first place. I'll see if I can dig it out and link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now