Talk

Advanced search

not sure what to do now

(6 Posts)
iluvshoes Tue 04-Aug-15 07:56:07

My son has been staying with his dad for the past 2 weeks. Last night he called me a few times saying im not enjoying this anymore and can I come home. The fastest he can come home is sunday as someone can bring him back. I havent slept at all worrying about him being unhappy. I asked his dad if he can bring him home but he said hes busy. I dont getpaid until the 14th . I did think about asking my mum to maybe lend me some money so I can go and get him but shes not the bank of england bless her. Would you just chill out and wait till sunday or put pressure on his dad to bring him home ?

starlight2007 Tue 04-Aug-15 17:38:33

I think you need to find out more about what he is not enjoying...If it is 2 weeks the Disney Dad rarely lasts that long..Is he just bored as he will be likely the same at home. How long was he planned to stay?

iluvshoes Tue 04-Aug-15 18:50:28

I think the novelty is starting to wear off. He is eleven now and whilst ive always let him see his dad i think hes starting to see what I see. Ive called him twice today and he said hes happy to come home sunday. There wasnt a time given on how long he stayed but I think hes had enough. The word disney dad covers it nicely. You cannot pick children up when you feel like it and then bin them when it gets a bit too much like hard work. Im glad hes coming home as its been awful without him.

cestlavielife Tue 04-Aug-15 22:18:09

Unless he is in danger then just leave him as arranged. Being bored is not neglected t.

Sanityseeker75 Wed 05-Aug-15 11:28:01

This is a tricky one and whilst it hurts you to think of him not being happy as cest said being bored isn't neglected and can set an example that every time he is bored or not doing what he wants then all it takes is a quick call to mom and he can exit the situation. This often leads to more drastic Disney behavior to keep child happy.

Ask him when he comes home what the problem was but if it was because dad is enforcing rules, doing day to day mundane activities and not entertaining then it gives you a good opportunity to explain to your DS that adults have jobs to do and it is the same in your home but he accepts that because he is used to you doing daily grind (clearly you can explain better than I have here).

I always think about the flip side - how would I have felt if DS had phoned his dad to get him from mine because he wasn't happy about something?

starlight2007 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:21:48

I think it will of done him good to see Disney Dad wear off. I also think it would of been difficult even at 11 for no ending that they know to.

It helps them understand that what you do is the everyday stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now