Talk

Advanced search

How often are child maintenance payments reviewed?

(21 Posts)
Emochild Mon 06-Jul-15 12:18:36

If you go through Csa/cms how often are payments reviewed?

EXP has been paying the same amount since we set up a mutual agreement 18 months ago

Our youngest starts high school in September so obviously uniform is a big cost -I've asked him if he will consider a one off additional payment to help (not the full cost, just a contribution) he's said no

Is it reasonable of me to review his monthly payments instead?

He won't think it is but I don't want to be grabby

If I was working full time I wouldn't go through the hassle but I've asked out of need, not greed

Starlightbright1 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:23:03

I get a letter from CSA every year to tell me my Ex will continue to pay £5 a week hmm

Do you think he has had much of a pay rise? if not you may be making waves for very little financial reasons

4EverScottish Mon 06-Jul-15 12:25:36

I've had the same amount for the past 10 years.

SurlyCue Mon 06-Jul-15 12:26:03

They arent reviewed unless you contact them saying you think they need to recalculate for X reason.

SurlyCue Mon 06-Jul-15 12:27:25

Is it reasonable of me to review his monthly payments instead

How do you plan to do this?

SurlyCue Mon 06-Jul-15 12:31:19

Oh and they dont adjust them because you have higher expenses. Child support is based on the NRP's income, not the PWC's expenditure. They will only be adjusted if he is earning more or less than previously.

Emochild Mon 06-Jul-15 12:54:58

When we made the agreement he was having both dc 3 nights a fortnight, he now has 1 of them for 2 nights a month and the other not at all

Plus he's had a minor promotion which won't have been huge but may make a difference

I appreciate it's based on his ability to pay rather than my need

He won't be happy if I try and review the payments with him but if its a reasoned argument with evidence to back it up he will generally come to a compromise

Which is why I was asking if it was reasonable to review it

Emochild Mon 06-Jul-15 12:57:28

I realise i'm now going to be accused of drip feeding but I did think he would agree to occasional payments (2nd time I've asked in 18 months and last time was for £25 towards year 6 residential)

SurlyCue Mon 06-Jul-15 13:02:40

In that case i would call CMS and say what youve said here, change of circumstance plus increase in salary. They'll talk to him, ask him to confirm this is correct and to provide new salary amount. Then they'll recalculate and let you know.

meglet Mon 06-Jul-15 13:10:28

never if there is no request and no contact. I've had the same amount for 5.5yrs now.

JakieOH Tue 07-Jul-15 16:38:54

my DPs exw was constantly asking for more money than he was giving her (he was paying well and above what CMS calculator suggested, plus any extras. they weren't going through CMS). He was paying as much as he could afford but she kept wanting more and he just didn't have it. She went to CMS to increase payments (the suggestion he wasn't oaying for his kids pissed him off no end) and, working on his income, the payments were reduced buy over £100 pm. hmm she was pretty quick to cancel the case, things are back to what they were and she is now happy with what he gives.

I'm not suggesting you are anything like that so please don't take that the wrong way, I'm just meaning be sure of what your entitled to and just be careful. If he isn't willing to pay a bit extra for uniforms he sounds like the kind of guy who wouldn't pay more than he has to.

Emochild Tue 07-Jul-15 17:07:28

He's the kind of guy that upped his pension contribution to reduce the amount he has to pay

And he's had 3 holidays with his girlfriend this year

JakieOH Tue 07-Jul-15 23:01:42

He sounds lovely hmm your well rid!

itsjustforthis Sat 11-Jul-15 13:14:22

Sorry this is at a bit of a tangent, but OP can I please ask what the relevance of him having holidays with his girlfriend is? I see it mentioned often on here in relation to NRPs and I genuinely wonder why it's such an issue. I'm a stepmum and my SS's mum always makes sarcastic comments when we go on holiday, as if DP doesn't deserve to have one or something. What she doesn't know (because it's none of her business) is that I usually pay for our hols from my bonuses, and that we generally go places on a tight budget so that we can go more than once a year - I'm not a big spender on clothes or anything like that and holidays are the thing I like to spend money on, and DP benefits from that. What is it about holidays that riles RPs so much? Should we really have to explain yo SS's mum how our holidays are funded?

masquerade Sat 11-Jul-15 13:29:56

I'm in a similar position, dd's (just about to start secondary school) Dad has been paying the same amount for almost 2 years, he's in a job with a pay scale so I'm pretty sure his wage will have increased once in that time and be due to do so again soon. If he hasn't informed them (which I suspect not as the amount I receive is exactly the same), and I contact them to review, does anyone know if he will be liable to back pay the underpayment?

Also if I contact them to ask them to review it will he be told that or will they just send him a letter asking for up to date information? I don't know if I can face the argument it might start if he gets told I've asked them to review it, even though I know he should be paying more if he's earning more.

SurlyCue Sat 11-Jul-15 13:32:04

3 holidays a year = isnt struggling. Could contribute something towards school uniform. Unless new partner is a mug funding all holidays.

Emochild Sat 11-Jul-15 13:32:42

It's significant because he pays peanuts and pleads poverty

I've had to adjust my lifestyle but he doesn't see why he should

If he was paying a reasonable amount towards bringing up our children I wouldn't give two hoots if he was on holiday 10 times a year (and when I say reasonable amount, I just mean fair in relation to his gross pay, not hundreds)

MuttonCadet Sat 11-Jul-15 13:34:21

It's routinely reviewed once a year. I think you can ask to have it reviewed more frequently.

SurlyCue Sat 11-Jul-15 13:35:24

and I contact them to review, does anyone know if he will be liable to back pay the underpayment?

Not sure if same scenario but CSA (or whatever theyre called now) just reviewed my case as EXp has reduce his contact. Whilst on the phone they iformed me that there were actually arrears from when we opened the claim in 2014 and did i want to pursue it. I said no as i dont want to kick up a shitstorm from him and it wasnt a large amount. But you may be able to get it back dated to when the pay rise happened. Not sure though so dont pin your hopes on it.

JakieOH Sat 11-Jul-15 18:29:15

Do you have any way of knowing what his wage us? Or close enough anyway?

Emochild Sat 11-Jul-15 18:52:22

Yes -ish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now