Advanced search

How do I take my ex to court?

(11 Posts)
justjuanmorebeer Fri 26-Jun-15 14:12:33

We have been separated 12 months. All private agreements so far with him messing me around left, right and centre. I am at my wits end and can't put up with it anymore. I want to go official how do I do it?

lostdad Sat 27-Jun-15 11:05:50

What do you want the court to resolve?

Savethesm Sat 27-Jun-15 17:43:29

Court is a nightmare for everyone involved. Think long and hard about if there is another way first.
They will usually suggest mediation first any way.

Starlightbright1 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:25:22

is this about contact? Mediation would be the next step.

Trisagion Sat 27-Jun-15 21:42:18

Avoid if possible. There is a substantial court fee and you would have to go to mediation before the court hearing for a child arrangements order. The trouble is that going to court often make matters worse with both sides digging in. The expectation now is any any order will be a final order and there will be no going back repeatedly.

justjuanmorebeer Sun 28-Jun-15 09:53:25

Just his inability to stick to any plan and be relied on ever.
Regarding contact times only, we don't have any assets and were not married. Been separated a year and his behaviour gets progressively worse.
I have booked mediation for July.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 28-Jun-15 10:28:14

Court can not make him stick to contact times it will merely create a rigid schedule that you will have to stick to making DC available to. He can still choose not to turn up and to let them down.

Starlightbright1 Sun 28-Jun-15 12:21:51

Behaviour towards you or DC?

I think the thing is draw up regular schedule if he doesn't stick to it that contact is missed... This doesn't mean no room for negotiation for holidays but you need to make back up plans.

Savethesm Sun 28-Jun-15 16:57:42

As others say... Any ruling over contact will simply tie you down to what you offer, it won't make him take the children.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 28-Jun-15 17:03:22

A court case won't stop him from messing about and cancelling. I have one... somewhere.... now ex pretty much makes his own

kittensinmydinner Mon 29-Jun-15 22:26:19

A court order for contact only works in the non resident parents favour not yours, there is no order that can make him more reliable sadly. Your best bet is not to tell the dcs, so they are not let down. Make the arrangement with him, give him a time and date, then take the kids out/to the park/whatever if he hasn't turned up within the hour. That way he can wate his own time. If he doesn't like it, he can pay the £200 mediation then £220 to apply for an order.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: