Advanced search

Changing Childs surname.

(8 Posts)
fsm52 Tue 16-Jun-15 23:09:52

My DD is 6 years old and has had no contact from her biological father for 4 years and minimal contact before then. ( his choice ) basically he wants nothing to do with her I tried to push the issues in the early stages of her life but realised the emotional stress was having a huge impact on DD. Her surname is my name his name no hyphen. I changed her name by Deed Poll to just my name (this is my maiden name i am unmarried never have been married) and this was accepted on the basis that the father is absent and hasnt seen DD for 4+ years no contact no maintenance etc etc, I wrote to his last known address asking for permission but he is uncontactable.
So deed poll has come through name changed at school, hospitals, doctors, hmrc, child benefit & everything I could think of. We are going on holiday in August so I sent off for name change on her passpprt as her name is change legally as per deed poll.
I sent all the usually off to the PPO along with letter of consent which deed poll required and legal copy of deed poll.
my worry is that this may now be refused. Has anyone been in this position? Was passport application accept with absent father (with PR).

CainInThePunting Tue 16-Jun-15 23:20:23

I did change name but had to get a letter from Xp agreeing but the difference is that here, the father with pr is uncontactable.
I'd be inclined to say if it's good enough for HMRC, CB etc then it's good enough for a passport?
Don't worry about it until the problem arises, it may never happen.

fsm52 Tue 16-Jun-15 23:26:59

CainInThePunting thank you for your reply. We go way in august and that is my main concern we won't have a passport to fly with. I'm trying not to worry but I'm a born worrier. X

CainInThePunting Wed 17-Jun-15 00:15:04

I'm trying to think back, I think I only needed the letter to get the deed poll, once you have the deed poll it's legal.
I certainly didn't need to produce the letter to get his NI number earlier this month!
I reckon you will be sorted well before August.

Have a lovely holiday.

Supervet Wed 17-Jun-15 00:21:07

Passport people won't change a name without a deed poll AND either a letter with fathers and yours agreement to name change or a court order they told me this week if he has PR. I am in same situation.

fsm52 Wed 17-Jun-15 00:25:21

Hi Supervet, did you send off.the passport application ? Was this just general advice from passpor office or has passport been refused. Deed Poll information advised that they cannot guarantee passport will be accepted but there is a good chance. I'm just hoping I am lucky enough to avoid court.

Supervet Wed 17-Jun-15 00:29:20

Was just their advice line when I asked what they needed. Everyone else has changed it no problem. I even have my divorce papers stating her new name.

Fingers crossed they accept it for you.

fsm52 Wed 17-Jun-15 00:32:09

Thanks I will update on here once I know. Don't think I'm going to be able to sleep until I find out. Stomach is in knots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now