Advanced search

Parental Rights

(6 Posts)
SophieJ96 Mon 15-Jun-15 06:36:32

Wondering if anyone can help?

My son is 3 months old, I want to take his father to the csa because I'm struggling financially more than I thought I would.

I have had no contact with the father since I fell pregnant and he told me to have an abortion. I know that if I take him to the csa he will want a dna test which I am happy to oblige.

However, will a dna test showing he's the father give him parental rights? We have never been married and he is not on the birth certificate


TrueFact Mon 15-Jun-15 06:47:13

There's no such thing as parental rights. PR stands for parental responsibilities. If he wants a dna test that's up to him to sort out. It won't automatically give him PR as he's not on the birth certificate, he'd have to apply for it through court, which he can do at any time.
I get a small amount of maintenance but my ex doesn't have PR.

SophieJ96 Mon 15-Jun-15 08:06:09

If he did apply for PR would I be able to argue my points against it or not? Also if he did get PR would he have a say if I wanted to move country to live or about medical decisions regarding my son. Another thing I was concerned about.. He was in the army but I think he dropped out, if he's unemployed or recieving cash in hand would this effect whether I can get maintenance

AnyoneForTennis Mon 15-Jun-15 09:03:30

There is no CSA as such anymore. It's all changed

Yes he would get PR. You have zero say in that as it's about your child not you

Yes, in theory he could prevent you moving abroad but really, would be want to? If he's on benefits you would get £5 a week.

cestlavielife Mon 15-Jun-15 18:05:39

if you pursue him for money i think it would be natural for him to then pursue contact.
do you want that?
do you have good reason not to? is it worth £5per week ?
longer term you need to know who and where he is for when ds asks about his dad.

Lonz Tue 16-Jun-15 13:35:31

I think you'd be better off going to Citizen's Advice as people are giving different information.

I didn't seek for maintenance as I didn't want my ex to have half hearted contact when he hasn't been there at all, I thought that would give him automatic rights. He is also not on the birth certificate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: