Talk

Advanced search

Collecting teen at night?

(5 Posts)
Twaddle1 Sun 14-Jun-15 21:04:20

Hi,

I'm a newbie so forgive me if I'm doing this in the wrong place!

I have a 16 year old and a 12 year old. How do people manage when their older child needs lifts back late at night? My teen is very shy and doesn't want to take taxis, her friends are not helpful (none have single parents they make her feel bad that she always needs lifts and I can't ever reciprocate). Would you ever leave a child asleep alone in the house for five or ten minutes to collect the other one? I am really struggling with this trying to encourage my teen to be more sociable but then the logistics make it really hard.

Thanks

Lou

TheMoa Sun 14-Jun-15 21:10:57

I would totally leave a 12 year old alone, as long as they were OK with it.

If they were not, I'd just bring them along. Your 16 year old can't be out that late, surely?

KatharineClifton Sun 14-Jun-15 21:11:42

A 12 year old is fine home alone while you pop out and collect the other one.

Twaddle1 Sun 14-Jun-15 21:14:57

Thanks for your replies.

I have no issues leaving him if he's awake, its if he's sleeping. Is that still OK? She has her prom til 11.00 which prompted me posting this. Usually she is back by 10. I am battling with her social group who all stay out much later (and drink a lot) which I don't think is OK at all.

switchitoff Wed 17-Jun-15 20:21:38

I started leaving my younger son at home alone (asleep or awake) whilst I collected the older one, from the age of 13. He's much happier being left at home than being forced to go out late at night to collect his sibling.

I always make sure younger DS has a phone right next to bed with my mobile number on speed dial; remind him not to answer the door bell if someone rings; remind him to leave the house immediately if there's a fire (OK, that one might be a bit extreme!)

You'd have to make sure your DS is comfortable being left alone at the age of 12, but if he is, I think it's the best solution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now