Talk

Advanced search

Foodbank?

(7 Posts)
MissMuesli Wed 13-May-15 22:57:02

I've had "one of those months". Every time I nearly get sorted I get landed with another bill or bank charges. I have barely any food in, my gas and electric are on low. All the food that I do have is being frozen so I can stretch it out for my 4 year old. I'm living off rivitas (my daughter doesn't like them) and sugary tea. I just need a break then I can get sorted again.

LO is at her dad's this weekend so I don't need to worry. The food we have will last probably about a week (without feeding me). I think I might end up using a food bank but what I was wondering is if I do will I get referred to social services/ end up on their radar? Feel mightily embarrassed and ashamed... bluegh.

Thanks!

MissMuesli Wed 13-May-15 22:57:44

Basically the first part is a huge moan, second part is my actual queryA

Lolimax Wed 13-May-15 23:02:30

Hi miss. We give out the vouchers where I work. And no you won't be on anyone's radar. Food banks are there to help in short term problems. If you ring your local CAB they should be able to tell you how to get a voucher but different areas have different methods. Good luck! Xx

Flowerpower41 Thu 14-May-15 04:35:06

You can always book to see the local GP and they may be able to refer you too.

HeadDoctor Thu 14-May-15 07:47:26

I don't know about food banks but have you spoken to your bank about the charges? IIRC if they are leaving you in financial hardship then they cannot charge you. Try having a look on moneysavingexpert.

Flowerpower41 Sat 16-May-15 07:08:52

I would try and avoid the Social Services route unless the other options i.e. CAB and the GP ports of call don't work out for whatever reason. Hang on in there.

ProfYaffle Sat 16-May-15 07:14:03

I'm a CAB advisor, CAB absolutely do not have any connection to SS/DWP etc Everything you discuss stays confidential within the CAB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now