Advanced search

Coming off help??

(7 Posts)
RockinMumma Sun 10-May-15 18:03:11

I'm a single mum who is currently getting benefit help for my two year old daughter. Her father who works full time pays me £50 a month (insert laughs here!!) Im right now getting income support child tax credits and housing benefits. I'm looking for a way to come off all of this and get my daughter into private nursery and work full time. From what I worked out I should be entitled to working tax credits. Has anyone done this that can help me? I cannot wait to get back to work and I'm looking for advice. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
WishITookLifeSeriously Sun 10-May-15 18:12:49

I do this. I have 2 children and they are in nursery while I work. I get my wages from work, child benefit, a reduction in council tax as I am the only adult and a small amount of housing benefit to put towards my rent, then I get tax credits which includes a childcare element where I get 70% of nursery fees paid for. I get no help from ex husband.
It's totally doable but not easy

RockinMumma Sun 10-May-15 18:23:51

Thanks for replying :-) do you work full time?

OP’s posts: |
gillybean2 Sun 10-May-15 20:41:05

Most single parents are expected to find work when their youngest child reaches school age and so aren't entitled to income support any more. So yes there are plenty of single parents who work.

I appreciate wanting to go back to work, but why do you want to be full time? Unless you are on very good money you'd still get some benefits. And you might find the difference between that and working slightly fewer hours, or even part time, is marginal overall.

As a single parent, you get WTC if you work more than 16 hours a week. The amount you get reduces the more you earn, but you get an extra boost if you work 30 hours per week. You also get help with childcare costs but there is a weekly cap. It may not cover all your childcare costs if you work full time. You should look at the entitledto website amd also look at your local childcare and see what they actually charge.

Also what are you planning to do when your dd starts school? You may find it easier to attend school events and to do pick up and drop off yourself if you work part time. Unless you have lots of family support for school runs you'll be looking for school clubs and child minders to do that for you. You also have to have child care in place for all the holidays, inset days, snow days etc.

My Ds is now 16 and I've been working 30 hours a week term time only for the last 4 years. When I first went back to work (he was 5) I did 18 hours (3 days x6 hours including school holidays - I would work extra days in term time to have half terms off time in lieu, and used holiday clubs for the summer plus easter and annual leave for xmas).

With little family support I always made sure I was there for school events (sports day, class assembly, open afternoon, fetes etc). With just one parent ds needed that, and I wanted to be there for him too. Working 3 days meant it was easy to swap which day I worked to be there for such things. I was lucky to find a very flexible employer though.

As his needs have changed I've upped my hours. It's not been easy but it means I have a foot on the ladder and when he finishes school completely I'll be able to work more hours again. I'm still with the same employer 10 yers down the line. They know I'm hard working and will make up my hours and be there when they need me at the busy times of year. Depending on what work you are hoping to return too, you may or may not find your employer is or can be flexible like mine is.

lillybee1 Tue 12-May-15 15:57:54

I'm in the same position. Have one LO, who is nearly two and wanting to find some part-time work. Have a look at the Entitled to calculator You can type in different scenarios and it will tell you what benefits you will get. I already said in another post that going back to work part-time will mean I'll end up with exactly what I get now (being on benefits) because although i'll be paid a salary most of the other benefits will go so my income will be the same. I want to work anyway but just seems like not getting much in return when I do find a job.

WishITookLifeSeriously Tue 12-May-15 18:32:23

I work as a Teaching Assistant so work 30 hours per week but only term time which means wages aren't the best but I definitely earn more than I would on benefits. I agree Entitledto is a great help.

CrushedCan Fri 15-May-15 21:54:50

I work full time and get child/working tax credits which pay a good chunk of the childcare. Me personally I am better off working full time. It will vary person to person (wage,rent,lifestyle etc) You can use the calculator to see how you will roughly get.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in