Advanced search

Parental responsibilities

(5 Posts)
Trudij123 Sat 02-May-15 13:51:07

Is there any way of absolving someone of their legal responsibilities ? I mean to not take maintenance and they have nothing to do with their child.
I realise it's not a lot of information there, basically my stupid fling has gone back to his (I fell for the story!!) wife and he's denying that our daughter is his - I've spoken to her, she's fully aware of it all although with him lying through his teeth to her (which she also knows but that's up to her ) and telling her I'm making it all up. I don't want to drag my daughter through all kinds of mess with him being like he is, he's a manipulative liar who claims to have all sorts of mental health problems as well as his general "being a nice human being" issues.

I want to know if I can do anything to effectively tell him that ok, you keep telling yourself and your wife that she's not yours, even though you know it's another lie. I neither want nor need anything from you and you can go back to pretending she doesn't exist.

I also need to add that I have no problem with helping her have contact with him if she wants to when she is old enough to make her own decisions about things, but she and I are far better off without him - I just want to make it official so I can't be accused of anything in the future.

No idea if that makes sense how I mean it....

OP’s posts: |
MyLonelyChestHair Sat 02-May-15 13:53:52

I remember reading a similar post a long while back. The general response on that one was you could get them to sign their responsibilities away but you'd need to go to court to prove it was in the child's best interests first to get a judges permission or something. And the father could always apply for the responsibilities back in the future. So pointless really in terms of foreverness.

MyLonelyChestHair Sat 02-May-15 13:55:04

Oh, but that's for an official agreement. I suppose a casual one might work but he could always ask to see her.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sat 02-May-15 13:56:17

No, you can't sever his legal connection to her. You can cut him out of your lives very easily if he is not interested in contact and that will have the same effect but you can't de-parentise him. Courts can but I think this is only used for adoption when PR is granted to adoptive parents. I have no use whether they do outside of adoption but it would be highly unusual.

Trudij123 Sat 02-May-15 14:15:17

Ok, thankyou so much for answering - maybe I'll just sit tight then, he's not seen her at all, he's barely been in contact since the middle of feb and after a weeks worth of trying to get me to take him back ( full of even more lies!) he's gone silent to me and talked his wife into taking him back yet again - so I'm not expecting to hear from him until something else happens. Talk about hedging your bets - he has told so many lies to so many people he doesn't even get a foot without tripping himself up now!

It's not like I think she's in any danger or anything like that, and I genuinely don't want anything from him at all ( which I can have in abundance !!) and it is up to her when she's older if she wants to see him.

Thankyou ladies smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in