Advanced search

Ex won't pay any maintenance

(4 Posts)
MrsChiefTyrell Fri 01-May-15 17:20:17

Hoping someone here wikk have experience of this.

My ex refuses to pay maintenance. She was sacked from her job 6 months ago and hasn't paid a penny since. She is now working self employed, rents a nice house, drives a nice car and has the kids every other weekend BUT refuses to pay maintenance, contribute to any costs of clubs or lessons or anything at all. To top it off she has the cheek to ask me to provide the children with XYZ items to send with them when they go to her for the weekend.

She's self employed so I don't think CMS will be able to force her to pay as she doesn't declare her earnings, works cash in hand and her us ones isn't even registered with HMRC.

I want to write to ger to try and explain why she should pay maintenance, that it is her legal responsibility to financially support the children and try and get her to see that it negatively affects them when she won't contribute. I work but only part time as they are both young still. She has recently said that because I get the Child Benefit that covers the cost and so she doesn't see why she should pay maintenance.

Any help with wording this letter or any good points to make would be appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
almosthuman Fri 01-May-15 17:44:22

First of all report her to HMRC. Secondly I would write to her explaining that she has a duty to financially support her children and I would also NOT provide anything for the children when she has them. Good luck.

Starlightbright1 Fri 01-May-15 17:48:32

I think it depends on the person. I would be furious and expect her to play but maybe use the this is what your children need the benefits may be more persuasive.

Another would report to the HMRC

CupidStuntSurvivor Fri 01-May-15 18:38:02

Report her to HMRC in the first instance. Then call CMS, explain the situation, open a claim and let them know about HMRC. CMS can't backdate so it's important your claim is in ASAP, even if it takes an age to process.

Write to the ex and tell her that she has an obligation to the DC. Also tell her that as a parent, she should have what the DC require at her home and can't expect you to provide care packages, especially if she's not forthcoming with maintenance.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in