Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas of a 'thinking of you' present for someone who is in process of becoming a LP?

(11 Posts)
Reastie Mon 26-Jan-15 21:05:11

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in relationships. Am looking for a small (not very expensive) thoughtful present for someone who is just starting the process of separating from her DH and everything is very overwhelming for her ATM. Can have it sent to her parents or work so it won't go to her home she is still in with her (soon to be x)H.

Anything any of you lovely ladies received or felt like you could do with? I know she won't appreciate chocolate as she's trying to lose weight. Have given her lots of wine previously!.. I'm really clueless for ideas.

TravelinColour Mon 26-Jan-15 21:08:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DancingCrown Mon 26-Jan-15 21:16:30

IOU for babysitting or invite for something in the future eg theatre tickets for the two of you. It can be really lonely on your own and she may feel the future looks a bit bleak.

yellowdaisies Mon 26-Jan-15 21:20:00

I really appreciated things to put on the wall when I split up with exp. He was talking quite a lot of the pictures, etc that we had up and I needed things to replace them with and make the house feel a bit more like my home. Could be an idea if you know her taste

Starlightbright1 Mon 26-Jan-15 21:23:28

I was going to say an Baby sitting voucher, pamper voucher,

If she has time take her out for lunch tea.

Depending on age of children pamper stuff... If she has very young children a nice shower gel would be more useful than a lie down treatment which she doesn't have long for.

A thinking of you card...Makes her feel not like crap

Reastie Tue 27-Jan-15 06:49:44

She doesn't live near by so babysitting voucher wouldn't work and I've just given her fancy smellies for her birthday.

Interesting point re: the pictures yellow I hadn't even thought of that sort of thing, but they don't really have much on their walls anyway.

I'm wondering now about just getting a really nice card after stars suggestion.

BlackDaisies Thu 05-Feb-15 23:19:46

I would second the pictures idea. The most important thing for me was making a new home that was ours. One friend gave me a framed picture of a place we often both visit together with our children and I love seeing it in my hallway smile

SantasFavouriteHo Thu 05-Feb-15 23:28:46

Something like this?

Reastie Fri 06-Feb-15 06:34:38

Thanks for the link, lovely idea, and I had never thought of the picture idea, it never even occurred to me.

KarmaNoMore Fri 06-Feb-15 06:51:06

Things that made a huge difference for me where:
- one of my friends came to stay with me the first night on my own. She doesn't live in the same city so it was a huge gesture. She dropped in with a book called "the monk that sold his Ferrari", which apparently she found very helpful when she split with her ex. It may have been the right time to read that book. It certainly changed my life.
- some one from Mumsnet drove all the way from the other side of England to spend some time with me. This thought me that I was not alone as nothing else in my life, it certainly changed my perception, support can come from people you have not even met.
- telling a friend I was getting divorced, she replied with two questions: Right, what do you want to do? How can we do it?
- the many cards telling me I was brave
- my friends got together to get me a bracelet from Pandora, I have worn it every day for almost 8 years, not because I care about Pandora but because it reminds me that I may not have any family I this country, but I am not alone.

ocelot41 Fri 06-Feb-15 06:58:35

A dear friend of mine split up with her not so DH after a very unhappy time. She used to tell me that she avoided going home so she didn't have to deal with the nastiness.
I bought her a colourful Welcome Home mat when he finally went.

But it depends on your friend's circumstances. Is she devastated or dying to be free?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: