Talk

Advanced search

Benefits and bf staying over

(14 Posts)
WorkingGirlJem Mon 19-Jan-15 21:10:22

Asking for my best friend who is a internet-phobe and won't come on here and ask for herself grin

What, if any, are the rules about how often her bf can stay over if she is in receipt of housing benefit and tax credits?

Tia

Magicpinkshadow Mon 19-Jan-15 21:14:27

If its is a regular occurrence it has to be declared but for a one off its ok. Although if some one reports her then she may be called in for a compliance interview.

CurlyRedHairfor2015ok Mon 19-Jan-15 21:39:11

I thought max of two nights a week . Not sure tho.

WorkingGirlJem Mon 19-Jan-15 21:45:23

I know it used to be 2 nights per week years ago but i'm sure I read somewhere that it's not allowed at all now

newyear15 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:48:14

it isn't about how many nights someone stays - it is if you are financially linked and he contributes to any household expenses.

fattymcfatfat Mon 19-Jan-15 21:49:30

Check on gov website

gamerchick Mon 19-Jan-15 21:51:38

It's not and never has been about how many nights. As has been said it's about money. If he's staying and tipping up then it has to he declared. If he's just an overnight guest on occasion it's fine .

WorkingGirlJem Mon 19-Jan-15 22:14:22

He stays 4 or 5 nights but doesn't contribute anything other than he does a food shop on his way over most days.

My friend works and doesn't want or need him to contribute.

newyear15 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:22:09

well him doing a food shop is contributing to household expenses. So I would consider if investigated they could be in trouble. And 4-5 nights a week is practically living together isn't it.

Is there any reason why he doesn't move in officially?

WorkingGirlJem Mon 19-Jan-15 22:35:17

Crikey! Its complicated isn't it?

I suppose it could be argued that he's only contributing the extra food that he's eating.

Neither of them want to cohabit, they both have their own interests and friends etc. Plus they've only been together since last summer.

From what I can gather its 4 or 5 nights some weeks and only 2 on others due to work/children/social commitments.

Thank you for your replies

ImLizawithaZ Mon 19-Jan-15 22:38:50

When I was on benefits someone crashed on my couch as they'd become homeless. When they went to put their name down for a house they were told that my benefits would be affected if they stayed at mine for longer than a fortnight.

WorkingGirlJem Mon 19-Jan-15 22:49:05

I think its confusing, even on the government and council websites.

If he didn't buy any food (or anything else) how would she prove it?

KissMyFatArse Mon 19-Jan-15 22:50:41

I was always told it's more than 2/3 nights per week.

gamerchick Mon 19-Jan-15 22:54:24

She can't that's the point.

If he's staying there for regular stretches then she could be open for scrutiny. It's her choice.

EVERYBODY was told the 3 nights a week myth by somebody. It's not true.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: