Talk

Advanced search

what do other lone parents do as interests/hobbies?

(14 Posts)
happycloud8209 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:36:07

Hi with everyone talking about new year's resolutions I thought it might be interesting to find out what other lone parents do as interests/hobbies, other than watch TV? And how you fit it in with/around work, housework and looking after little ones..? Looking for inspiration...

Liberated71 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:55:12

Hi! And Happy New Year.
I'm a line parent and know all too well how hard it can be to carve out any time for myself. I'm try to run regularly (easier when it's not so dark in the mornings as I go really early before my teenagers wake up- one has special needs donor so easy to leave unsupervised when awake!!!). I also love be gardening- again not necessarily a winter activity. In the darker months I settle for Reading and embroidery

Liberated71 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:55:55

Damned predictive text - lone parent not line confused

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 03-Jan-15 19:10:28

I sing in a choir, crochet and do dog agility as well as walking the dog.

hbr1989 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:13:14

Would love to know myself. I'm looking for something to spend my time on during the evenings. My dcs are young so it would need to be in the house

Liberated71 Sat 03-Jan-15 20:13:05

Exercise DVDs?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 03-Jan-15 20:38:23

Crochet is good there are lots of on line course, you tube videos etc.

mugglelady Sat 03-Jan-15 21:57:06

I'm also interested to hear of any hobbies any of you do as a family with your children, as I'm keen to hear of new activities to do with the kids as well as looking for new ideas for things I can start to do myself.

warmleatherette Sun 04-Jan-15 06:57:36

I play guitar. It's quite inclusive because you can learn pop songs the kids know, have them sing along with you, and teach them too, of course. Last night DD (5) got all her cuddly toys out to be the audience for Mummy's stellar "performance" of 'Shake It Off' and 'Blank Space' by Taylor Swift.

18yearstooold Sun 04-Jan-15 07:08:47

I'm a brownie & guide leader -the DC come with me and join in if they want or take some things to do with them if they don't

mugglelady Sun 04-Jan-15 08:03:45

Aww that's really sweet Leather grin

AngelCauliflower Sun 04-Jan-15 20:36:53

Looking after my fish and my cat and doing open university courses. I would love to start running or swimming.

gillybean2 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:42:28

I took up geocaching about 4 years ago as a way to get fit after a car accident after someone on mumsnet suggested it. Ds used to come too, but now he's a teenager everything is boring, especially anything mum wants to do! I still manage to drag him out with me occassionally though.

It's a really cheap hobby, has taken us to some interesting places and I've learnt lots about the area I live in that I never knew - Hidden nature reserves, history, architecture, stunning scenery and footpaths that I'd never have explored otherwise, to name just a few.

I am lucky that there are also lots of geo events in my area, so I've met lots of other who share this hobby and we've had some fun adventures. Now that ds doesn't want to geocache with me I sometimes go alone and sometimes meet up with others to go caching in groups. It's also a good way of exploring a new area if you're away on holiday or visiting relatives or just out and about somewhere for whatever reason.

I have made some new friends through it. Geocaching appeals to people of all ages and from many walks of life. There are lots of others who come to events both with and without their partners. There are several other ladies at the events I go too who come alone, some are lone parents too.

If it's too wet/dark to go out in the winter I can sit and plan where I'd like to go when the weather is better, or I can try and solve some puzzles caches too. I can highly recommend it as a cheap way to get yourself out of the house. All you need to get started is a smartphone or a GPS device.

warmleatherette Mon 05-Jan-15 22:02:48

thanks mugglelady!

gillybean that sounds ace - i've tried geocaching a couple of times but one i couldn't find (in epping forest) and one had been removed. the second one still taught me something i didn't know about our local area, though! will have to give it another shot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now