Advanced search

Becoming a single parent, what do I need to do?

(3 Posts)
katymarieajcm Mon 15-Dec-14 15:19:23

My partner and I have decided that after seven years together and having our two girls( 2 and 4 months, problems surfaced when pregnant) to seperate we both feel unhappy and are ending things on good terms for the children, my question is as he has supported us by working full time, I don't work and finding myself alone financially I have no idea what help ican claim just until the little ones old enough so I can go to work.

Any help with what single parents can claimand any advice on entitlements would be helpfull.

fairgame Mon 15-Dec-14 15:24:53

As your oldest is under 5 you can claim income support. You can also claim child benefit and child tax credits. If you go on income support you can also claim housing benefit/local housing allowance to help with your rent and you can apply for council tax benefit as well.
First port of call should be to ring and apply for income support as it's more straightforward to claim housing benefits once this is in place.
Oh and don't forget to make sure your ex pays child support. You can arrange it yourself or go through the csa.

This website will give you a full run down of what you can claim.

Wotsitsareafterme Tue 16-Dec-14 20:30:36

You can probably get 15 hours free childcare vouchers it's called 'me too' funding check your council web page

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: