Talk

Advanced search

What to get DSS's mum for Christmas

(14 Posts)
blackjacker Fri 12-Dec-14 20:09:26

I have 2 DSS and I'd like to take them shopping to get their mum something for Christmas, I think if I let them lead the way in choosing she would get lego! So need some ideas for what shops to take them too. I was going to go to L'occitane or Molton Brown and let them choose a scent, is that a good idea? I think she'll realise it was me or took them because DP is a bit rubbish at stuff like this so it needs to not be too familiar if you know what I mean?

WestEast Fri 12-Dec-14 20:12:05

I've had the same situation this year as well! Nice gift, for someone I don't know too well, who I want to respect me and hopefully like me. Bloody hard! I've plumped for a Yankee candle Christmas gift set, was a tenner and smells gorgeous, will probably supplement with a bottle of wine as well.

Vaudeville Fri 12-Dec-14 20:16:10

I think that's a lovely idea. Take them to any shop with something suitable, even if it's the supermarket & they pick a box of chocs or even a naff ornament as it will make it even more special that they chose it themselves for mum & less like you have picked it out. I hope my kids end up with a SM like you one day not just for the pressie buying

FourthMary Fri 12-Dec-14 20:16:51

I (dh except he never shops) usually get her a photo type gift. Just a nice snap of dsd framed, put on a canvas, mug etc.

NickiFury Fri 12-Dec-14 20:16:54

You sound like a lovely step mother smile.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Fri 12-Dec-14 20:18:17

Yes molten brown sounds like a lovely idea. EXps mum still gets me smellies and i really love it.

WestEast Fri 12-Dec-14 20:19:09

Ooh I've just clicked that you mean a gift from the child, it's been a long week! Ooh that's a lovely idea, one that I'm going to steal! I like the idea of letting them choose the scent as well smile

springalong Sat 13-Dec-14 16:20:36

That does sound lovely letting the children choose. I get something chosen by ex's partner who was the OW, wrapped by an adult and that DC has never seen. Do you all get on well? Some of my gifts have been very personal considering the animosity that is there.

blackjacker Sat 13-Dec-14 17:52:51

Thanks, all! I'm glad you think it's a good idea! springalong we get on well along the lines of saying hi at drop offs and having a bit of small talk but I don't know her well at all. But I would like to because she seems nice and we're going to be extended family in a way!

She always gets something from the kids to their dad but he never reciprocates and I think it's a bit off that she doesn't get the same so I've taken it into my own hands this year. I'm taking them to Molton Brown tomorrow and will steer them towards the nice ranges (well they're all nice really!) smile

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 13-Dec-14 17:53:59

Does she get stuff from them to you?

blackjacker Sat 13-Dec-14 18:15:22

She did last year, yes, which is another reason I think she should get a pressies from them!

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sat 13-Dec-14 18:19:33

What a lovely idea.

ExtraVolume Sat 13-Dec-14 21:18:36

Yes agree with letting them choose, even if it is lego!

Help them wrap, even if it looks shoddy and most importantly make a christmas card for her.

revealall Sat 13-Dec-14 23:00:12

My partner takes DS to the charity shop with a fiver to chose something for family.

It works brilliantly as the thought does come 100% from DS, charity wins and it'll only be small tat for a fiver. He picked brilliant stuff actually and the story as to why he chose it makes it more special.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now