Talk

Advanced search

Mums who share residency

(3 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Fri 28-Nov-14 07:59:17

Ex is moving out this weekend. The plan we have in place is that he will have DS three nights a week.
Whilst there is no love lost between us we are both a hundred percent committed to making sure DS gets the best possible upbringing from his separated parents. I know this means he needs a good relationship with his dad and this is going to involve being away from me.
But, to be honest, I'm dreading it. I know DS loves his dad and his dad loves him and he will be well looked after. I know it's not about my feelings but about DS feelings and we need to do what's best for him. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to miss him terribly.
So I guess what I really wanted was to find some other mums who share residency with their ex to chat and share experiences with.
So if there are any of you out there, hi, welcome, have some brew and maybe some wine

grin

Hesaysshewaffles Sat 29-Nov-14 08:36:23

How old is you ds? My dd was just over 1 when we split. At that point he had never had our dd on his own longer for half a day. If you asked what her routine was he wouldn't have a clue. Despite the fact that he was pretty shit in that department he was eager to play a part.

We started off gradually so that dd got used to be away from me, and also 'home'. Started off days away, built it to one night, and I think it was a few months before it became 3 nights a week.

It was horrible at first and I felt like such a bad mum for handing over her, even tho it was to her dad! But you really do get used to it and for me, I built up my own identity again.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 29-Nov-14 08:53:11

Hi Hesays

DS is six. He is very used to being with his dad, ex was a SAHD for a year when he was a toddler. While I don't agree with some of ex's parenting ideas, I know DS will be safe and happy with him.
I am thinking of making a list of different things to do to keep me busy on the days DS isn't here, to keep me occupied.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now