Talk

Advanced search

Baby dad not on Birth Certificate

(10 Posts)
Homepride1 Fri 14-Nov-14 15:05:20

My BF is not named on the birth certificate if our 7 week old baby, he was going to be and appointment was booked to suit him as in times/day/work etc but dispite this decided not to come to the appointment and have his son from previous relationship instead!

Our relationship is very Ricky anyway and I just wondered what this means as in rights to our baby etc?

WrappedInABlankie Fri 14-Nov-14 21:11:34

He has no parental Responsibility.

Mothers automatically have Parental Responsibility, Fathers do only if they are named on the Birth Certificate, married to the mother at the time of the birth or have been granted it via court. If you have parental responsibility, your most important roles are to:

provide a home for the child
protect and maintain the child
If you have parental responsibility for a child you don’t live with, you don’t necessarily have a right to contact with them - but the other parent still needs to keep you updated about their well-being and progress.

You’re also responsible for:

disciplining the child
choosing and providing for the child’s education
agreeing to the child’s medical treatment
naming the child and agreeing to any change of name
looking after the child’s property
Parents have to ensure that their child is supported financially, whether they have parental responsibility or not.

Personally I'd keep it that way if he didn't come he's not that bothered about having it

nochangewanted Fri 14-Nov-14 21:39:38

yes PR is the biggie.

I would leave him to sort it out though if he wants it.

bluetrain Fri 14-Nov-14 22:01:51

wrapped if someone has parental responsibility they absolutely do have a right to have contact with the child but they do not need to provide somewhere for the child to live. for example my DC's bio-dad has PR and visits him but doesn't have a room for him in his house or anything like that. sorry if that's not what you meant.

OP, parental responsibility is the main thing. I guess it doesn't matter too much right now as you're still together and can make decisions together. you say your relationship is rocky and if you were go split up because he doesn't have PR it would be more difficult (but certainly not impossible) to get maintenance. if he had PR he would have a right to contact and things like a say in his medical treatment/schools etc. he can go on the birth certificate at a later date if that's something he decides.

WrappedInABlankie Fri 14-Nov-14 23:32:09

Bluetrain

This was taken from the gov website. So is factual I think they mean anyone can have a PR but if they go out and kill someone they won't get contact due to being a danger to the child.

WrappedInABlankie Fri 14-Nov-14 23:33:39

It also wouldn't be difficult to get CMS/CSA she would just ring them up and start a claim, if he refuses as DNA they assume he's father and take funding, if he doesn't and proves he is he still pays.

bluetrain Sat 15-Nov-14 07:40:16

apologies then, I didn't realise that came from the government.

what I meant about it being more difficult to get maintenance is that they may have to do dna testing etc, which would take a little bit longer than if he was already on the bc.

socially Sat 15-Nov-14 07:45:22

I remember your previous thread.

At the moment he has no parental responsibility for the baby. At the moment this would suit you as if you break up you can make all the decisions for your child alone.

I imagine if he later applies to be on the birth certificate he could achieve this, but if you're lucky he won't bother and will leave you to it.

I speak from personal experience - it's easier to just do it on your own.

cruikshank Sat 15-Nov-14 07:48:22

The CSA can definitely chase for maintenance even if the father isn't on the birth certificate. Yes, the father might dispute paternity, but a DNA test will sort that out.

OP, I'm sorry your relationship is rocky but given that it is, it might very well be in your best interests that he is not on the birth certificate and that you get to make the important decisions about your child without his input. This will especially come into play as the child gets older.

Congratulations on your baby and I hope it all goes well for you.

cruikshank Sat 15-Nov-14 07:52:00

I speak from personal experience - it's easier to just do it on your own.

I would echo that. If there's a danger that he might fuck off and then get difficult about things, it's much better that, say, only you get to make decisions about medical treatment/choice of school/going on holiday abroad etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now