Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Maintenance and re-marriage

(12 Posts)
FTS123 Mon 10-Nov-14 20:13:38

So, if a mum was to re-marry, would the father of her children then stop paying maintenance for the children?

Oswin Mon 10-Nov-14 20:15:29

Nope the father is still responsible for his children.

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 10-Nov-14 20:16:35

As far as I'm aware, no. He may do if your OH adopts them though.

HattyMonkey Mon 10-Nov-14 20:16:35

No the money is for the children not the ex wife.

FTS123 Mon 10-Nov-14 20:24:07

Ha! I knew I was right!! A friend of mine has found themselves in this situation, but I figured maintenance was still paid as it's for the kids not the mother - thanks all

MuttonCadet Mon 10-Nov-14 20:26:32

Child maintenance yes, spousal maintenance no, (but I don't think that's very common nowadays).

latorgator Mon 10-Nov-14 21:14:35

If the RP marries, has more kids nothing changes. If the non RP marries, has more kids or marries someone with kids then it's reduced (I believe!

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 10-Nov-14 22:54:29

Yup, that's right. There's a cap on how many children it's reduced for though. If the NRP has/moves in with a new partner who has children, it stops being reduced at three.

StardustBikini Tue 11-Nov-14 07:23:31

The RP is financially affected if they move in with a partner in as much as the state reassesses the household income for benefit purposes. The "new partner" is deemed to have financial responsibility for DCs with whom they live, regardless of relationship - legally or biologically.

HeadDoctor Tue 11-Nov-14 08:13:22

The NRP doesn't pay less maintenance if they marry. It's only if they have more children (own or step) living with them that it would reduce.

needaholidaynow Tue 11-Nov-14 09:15:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Smukogrig Tue 11-Nov-14 17:49:08

I hope not, but in reality, I bet it happens, the father looks on at the family and if they're not starving, he'd cut the maintenance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now