Advanced search

changing sons name

(11 Posts)
ilovesprouts Tue 28-Oct-14 15:55:14

hi does anyone know if I can change my sons last name to my maiden name been divorced for two years now or do I have to ask ex hubbys permission.sick of his vile racist abuse etc.

BlueberryWafer Tue 28-Oct-14 15:58:26

You need the fathers permission to change a child's name by deed poll, unless he is absent (without you knowing his whereabouts) and you have to have made reasonable effort to locate him, or if the father is unknown.

BlueberryWafer Tue 28-Oct-14 16:00:46

Unless your partner was abusive? I think if you're afraid to ask permission in the case of an abusive partner, they can do it without his permission. I'm not 100% on that though, hopefully someone will come along who can tell you for sure smile

HeadDoctor Tue 28-Oct-14 16:28:51

You either need his permission or the court's permission.

lacksdirection Wed 29-Oct-14 10:31:12

How will changing your son's surname stop his father's ranting? confused

lacksdirection Wed 29-Oct-14 10:31:58

Sorry, meant abuse not ranting.

ilovesprouts Wed 29-Oct-14 10:52:16

it wont stop the ranting but im sick of the abuse I get from him daily he says I only want my son for his money [dla] etc and I don't really love him. hes a very bad temped man last sat he rang me up saying he wanted to top him self [my son was in the house] hes abused taxi drivers.bus drivers whith his racist abuse hes already been I trouble whith the law by nutting taxi driver and nearly choked some one he pushed my daughter wen she was pregnant that's why I divorced him over two years ago ive also been in a bad accident my self and ive had enuff of his vile rants now.

lacksdirection Thu 30-Oct-14 11:31:40

He sounds awful, but how does changing your son's name help?

America1 Thu 30-Oct-14 17:27:05

I wish people would stop asking people questions and imposing their views. If she wants to change her sons name its her perogative shes only asking why!

America1 Thu 30-Oct-14 17:27:58

Lmao....shes only asking how to go about it...

3xcookedchips Thu 30-Oct-14 17:52:32

Actually, its not her prerogative - if he has PR she needs his permission otherwise she can apply to the court and explain why it's in the childs interest to change the name - what HeadDoctor says.

Usually, this question gets asked on the Legal Board under the title 'Yet another name change thread...'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now