Talk

Advanced search

Quick, easy, cheap meals.

(24 Posts)
Paddlingduck Thu 11-Sep-14 13:58:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
cestlavielife Thu 11-Sep-14 16:08:55

don't be complicated for slow cooker just throw in some meat eg pork joint lamb from cheap section, add anything you have - can of coke, salt pepper few herbs some carrots... and leave all day. lovely.

pasta is easy - pasta and tinned tuna; or pesto; or bacon lardons.

rice with whatever

omelette with whatever from fridge

is there someplace anywhere local does a hot roasted chicken eg sainbo, asda Waitrose? can be relatively cheap meal for a treat - hot chicken for £6 plus some nachos/tortilla chip/plain crisps. and salad.

standby freezer potato waffles fishfingers

sausages and mash - good quality sausages about £3 a pack or see offers

starlight1234 Thu 11-Sep-14 18:57:59

My ds fave me is gnocchi made with passata and cheese I put courgettes in.

I also use my slow cooker heaps.

I buy frozen meat from iceland and the add powder or cook in the bag.

buy diced turkey thigh and use Korma sauce ( as kids will eat it but add carrots and peas)

pasta with philly and bacon mushrooms and onions.

Hope this helps

revealall Thu 11-Sep-14 22:02:26

I do Nigellas chicken portions with an onion, cut up potatoes and a bit of chorizo. Grate an orange over and bung in oven for 45 mins. Fancy supper for cheap chicken thighs. Don't buy the chorizo sausage in packets as they can be same price as the chicken.buy a quids worth in a chunk from supermarket deli. Even cheaper buy less/ use leftover chicken chunks and make into risotto with rice.

Puff pastry £1.25 bit of tomato purée/tomato sauce and any other soft veg in fridge with cheese on. Call it tart and something French.!

starlight1234 Thu 11-Sep-14 22:49:20

also cheese and potato pie. I like it with onion in but my son doesn't .We have it with bakes beans.

BlackeyedSusan Thu 11-Sep-14 22:52:51

veggie spag bol: everyday value carrots, onion, herbs, tinned tomatoes, frozen muxhrooms. tesco value are the cheapest I have found. (carrots and onions can be frozen ready chopped. add a tin of lentils. wholewheat spagetti

freezer/tinned chilli. lentils or beef mince. chopped peppers. chopped onion. tin of value kidney beans tinned tomatoes. chilli powder when batch cooking I add a tin of different beans stashed from the four for a pound range. serve with brown rice.

beans on wholemeal toast. fruit for pudding

melonribena Thu 11-Sep-14 22:53:50

Mix a pack of mince with an egg, stock cube and herbs. Roll into small balls and cook in the oven for 20 mins. (Can be made the night before and chucked in the oven when back from work)

Warm a tin of chopped tomatoes, throw in meatballs and serve over pasta

Paddlingduck Fri 12-Sep-14 13:00:57

starlight1234 Fri 12-Sep-14 14:08:40

Cheese and potaoto pie. I make it boil the potatoes mash them with milk and cheese and pop it in the oven. you could do mash earlier and then pop it in the oven when you get home if time is an issue.

I also make a cheats fish pie this was with fish in butter sauce, frozen veg in pie with mash on top.

I like the idea of the meatballs I am going to make those.

Do your kids like quorn. I know my DS will happily come home and tell me he has had quorn something or other at school although not veggie if they will I would do spag bol all veggie

momb Fri 12-Sep-14 14:15:54

Have a look at A girl called Jack's blog: loads of recipes which are quick, made form inexpensive ingredients and much healthier than processed food.

Whatever21 Fri 12-Sep-14 20:50:08

make a plan we have every week:

pasta:pesto, bacon, ham, cheesy, spag bol
pancakes: one ham one cheese one jam - big favourite
grilled chicken/lamb/pork, rice and veg
sausages
home made pizza
home lasagna
meatballs
gammon

Love the nachos idea-will try that

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 13-Sep-14 17:29:27

My number one favourite cheap friend is Sainsburys cooking bacon that I chop up and use in all kinds of ways pasta sauce, tartiflette, panhaggerty.

Paddlingduck Sun 28-Sep-14 23:15:50

YourHandInMyHand Mon 29-Sep-14 07:55:54

Cod fillets with a squeeze of lemon or a sprinkle of lemon pepper, wrap in foil amd cook in oven on tray for 20 mins. Serve with a packets of roasted veg cous cous and some cherry toms.

Salmon fillets with a dash of sauce ( mix soy, honey and 5 spice in a bowl), wrap in foil amdcook in oven on tray forn20 mins. Serve with egg noodles tossed in a little sweet chili sauce.

I use frozen fish portions.

Hesaysshewaffles Fri 03-Oct-14 18:31:50

Boil pasta, then drain and put back on hob. Then get one of those large tubs of dairylea and add about a third. Then get some torn up ham and it's a quick and easy carbonara. For me I add some crushed black pepper for flavour.

Also quorns a cheaper alternative to meat and lasts longer!

starlight1234 Fri 03-Oct-14 19:36:36

well done sometimes all it takes is to break the habbit

Trollsworth Fri 03-Oct-14 19:38:09

Mince with herbs, veg and a tin of beans, served with a jacket potato and cheese on top.

TuTuTired Fri 03-Oct-14 19:45:56

Will they eat curry? Fans of veg or pulses? I make lots of versions veg curry. Very cheap, easy and tasty.

Favourites are:

chickpea and sweet potato
Potato and cauliflower
Red lentil
Coconut chicken
Jamaican stew chicken

- all one pot dishes and I dont always bother with rice but just warm up roti or chapati to have with.

Also:

Tortilla or Spanish omelette - easy, quick, cheap as chips

Chicken stew and dumplings (use packet mix dumplings to save time)

Pasta bakes of various descriptions (faves here are baked mac and cheese; pesto pasta bake; mozzarella, bacon and tomato pasta bake) or tuna & sweetcorn pasta goes down well

Jacket potatoes or sweet potatoes with fillings (if they'll eat veggie chilli, its a very easy and cheap dish)

Minime85 Sat 04-Oct-14 06:57:34

Slow cooker is great either chicken breasts or beef with carrots onion and bay leaf etc with stock and let it cook. Does two days easy.

Mine love pasta and sauce. I use passata or tin chopped toms. Roast 2/3 peppers, courgette, red onion in oven then whizz that up in tomatoes. Does 4/5 portions which I freeze so lasts ages. Loads of veg in it, hidden so they happily eat it.

Paddlingduck Tue 07-Oct-14 16:53:25

digger123 Tue 07-Oct-14 17:03:23

You sound like you're doing really well Paddlingduck. I lost interest when 4 became 2 (DD went off to uni) But tonight we're having sweet potato, parsnip and carrot chopped up and thrown in the oven with some olive oil & honey, then a couple of chicken breast added 20 mins before the end (i hr total cooking). I'm all for easy stuff that can be thrown in all together. You must be finding it cheaper than ready meals! I've never really used them that much, preferring things like baked potatoes with baked beans and cheese - quick, simple, nutritious, cheap, minimal cooking involved smile

digger123 Tue 07-Oct-14 17:05:20

PS if the apple sauce is quite thick you could make it into a pie with some ready bought pastry and eat with custard? Bit sludgy but you could put some chunks of fruit in as well???

BlackeyedSusan Thu 09-Oct-14 13:03:51

how old are the dcs? is there a reson that they eat meat when you don't?

Lushlush Thu 23-Oct-14 07:10:40

Pancakes are a good option. Do the Delia Smith recipe not Nigella's one as it is a bit involved!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in