Talk

Advanced search

have you ever been camping on your own with dc ?

(29 Posts)
misstiredbuthappy Sun 06-Jul-14 13:23:40

So summer holidays start next week for dd and we have been thinking of things to do when im not in work. Gota few days out planned to the zoo ect and a couple of weekends away. But dd has got it in her head to go camping. Ive never been camping in my oife. Would I be mad to go just me and dd for a few nights !? Is it scary on your own ? dont laugh ive never slept in a tent

lljkk Sun 06-Jul-14 13:49:39

It's a lot funner if you go with a gang of friends. I know some LPs who are part of a friendship circle that go a few times every summer as a giant group.

Earlybird Sun 06-Jul-14 13:52:01

How old is dd?

Maybe try camping in the garden (if you've got one) first?

And agree with lijkk about going with a group. Would be more fun, and also less stressful on you as a camping novice.

IUsedToUseMyHands Sun 06-Jul-14 13:54:28

Marking place as I've been considering similar. I just started a thread in chat asking about going away alone with small DC.

misstiredbuthappy Sun 06-Jul-14 14:00:16

Shes 5 earlybird yes I could try and see whatt dd me is like in the garden.

ive asked a friend if she would like to come with her dc but shes not keen on the idea.

I just think it sounds like a little adventure something weve never tried before.

misstiredbuthappy Sun 06-Jul-14 14:02:09

What was you thinking of doing iused ive beeen in a caravan a few times with dd we love it.

IUsedToUseMyHands Sun 06-Jul-14 14:41:54

Something simple as a first attempt! I don't have any friends who are single but I think me and LO could have a good time together. Someone on my chat thread has suggested Filey which might be nice. Not sure about camping though so maybe a B&B.

Meglet Sun 06-Jul-14 14:46:20

I don't get how you could go to the loo in the night without dragging both dc's with you. And if one of them wanted to go you'd have to take the other one. I think I'd go insane.

am considering Glastonbury in 3/4 years before they're too old for free kids tickets.

rascal1979 Sun 06-Jul-14 14:49:22

I did it! Twice! Packed up the car with a Tesco cheapy tent and supplies and headed to France (live in Manchester) with my DD when she was 2 and again when she was 3. The best holidays absolutely loved it and so did she smile

I have never camped in a tent before previously either !

I have also been to Disneyland with her on my own and more recently been on a package holiday to Spain and loads of places in England and Wales etc

Do it you will have a great time.

CharmQuark Sun 06-Jul-14 15:24:25

I have taken DC camping on my own numerous times.

I think your biggest challenge is gathering all the gear: tent, mats, sleeping bags, chairs, stove, lamp - camping adds up, unless there is someone you can borrow a load of stuff from.

There are many tents that are very easy for one person to put up, and 5 year olds are good helpers, holding things in place as you thread poles etc.

It's easy to make friends on campsites, anyway - people are usually friendly and the kids make friends.

Night time wees - use a bucket with a lid, unless you are on one of the wilder sites in which case in the long grass or bushes behind the tent....

CharmQuark Sun 06-Jul-14 15:25:02

Look on the camping board - you will find loads of solo parents taking kids camping.

misstiredbuthappy Sun 06-Jul-14 17:40:18

Hadnt thought of that meglet hmm

Thanks rascsl I want to go to france now ! Was thinking of Barmouth its about an hour and a half from where I live. And ive heard its lovely down there.

Ill have a look on the camping board thanks charm

sunflowerfi Tue 08-Jul-14 20:56:54

I haven't been camping but I take my kids to my parents caravan at Haven quite a lot. I used to go with friends but I found that we would just end up drinking far too much and being rough the next day. Plus the caravan would be over crowded and the ids end up fighting. I prefer now to go alone although t would be nice to have friends camp or rent their own caravan on the same site so I have people to meet with but our own space. Saying that though a few times I have been lucky enough to meet other single mums to met with while up there.

campingfilth Tue 08-Jul-14 21:54:56

Yep done it a fair bit. I;m off to a local festival camping this weekend, Beautiful Days festival with just me and 4 year old DS in August and then going onto another campsite when festival finishes.

It's great fun although tiring I'd say go for it.

Shockers Tue 08-Jul-14 22:05:01

I camp a lot with my two and have done since the youngest was just months old.

I'm not a lone parent but DH has a job which means that even if he does come with us (even when we're camping in France!), he has to come home mid holiday.

I also like youth hostelling with mine in the Feb and Oct half terms. Look at YHA, they're a good start and they're usually in amazing spots.

Celynfour Tue 08-Jul-14 22:14:18

We did a couple of caravans. One night in tent in garden last year.
So now we're going four nights in a 'pod'. Like camping but no tent to put up and better chance of keeping dry! V reasonable at 35 a night for me and three DC.
Near scarborough so all new for us. We've borrowed stuff and are vexcited. I hated camping but I like the idea of sharing an adventure smile
Wish us luck!

dotty2 Tue 08-Jul-14 22:15:35

I'm not a lone parent but have camped solo with mine and am planning to do so again this holiday. But do try in the garden first and buy a 'Bog in the Bag - too tired to link but it's basically a porta potty for grown ups! The first time I had a night alone with mine we were on a very quiet site and I had briefed them that I might need a wee in the night and if they woke up and I was gone I'd be back soon. Of course, when it came to it I couldn't bring myself to leave a 5 and 7 year old alone in a dark field so I had to wee in the long grass behind the tent.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 08-Jul-14 22:18:05

Ive never camped but i'm taking my two (5 and 9) glamping next month. I know its not the same but it's a step in the right direction for me grin ive only ever done weekends breaks in hotels with them in the past. Very excited- and nervous about being on my own.

meglet Wed 10-Jun-15 22:39:47

Bumping because I've changed my mind and we might do one night this summer. I've probably lost my mind hmm.

One night would be ok wouldn't it . don't need to take much food or worry about showers.

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 11-Jun-15 08:20:22

I don't know whereabouts you are OP but my local single parents group have organised group camping in August. I'm terrified but am going along to give the boys (2 and 5) a little holiday and to meet other single parents.

SleepIsOverrated Thu 11-Jun-15 08:30:32

Frequently!

Get the biggest tent you can - for 2 of you you need a 4 man at least, and one with a bit of living space not just the sleeping area.

Camping loo for night time wees.

Practice pitching the tent solo and take something dd can do in the car while you pitch it if it's raining. Take more clothes than you think you'll need, including spare jumpers and bedding.

Expect everything to take six times as long as it does at home -just lighting a stove to boil a kettle plus fetching water and filling the kettle, then trudging to the washing up bits after breakfast can make cereal and coffee take an hour - but that's part of the fun; a slower pace.

I would personally do 2 nights min first time not 1 - you need a day when you aren't packing and unpacking to get a feel for how things are in the middle. Start and end are difficult otherwise.

meglet Fri 12-Jun-15 07:32:11

hmm, the six times as long thing could be interesting . It's years since I've been in a tent.

8yo ds is good with tents though so I'm not doing it single handedly.

I need to make a list don't I.......

WinnieTheWilt Fri 12-Jun-15 07:38:45

I've been loads, it's fine. I think dc were 4 and 7 the first time.

YourHandInMyHand Sun 14-Jun-15 21:00:18

I've been with just me, DS and dog in the tent but a friend came too in her own tent with her DS. Am debating going just us this year but will probably see if anyone else fancies it too in their own tent.

I found it more relaxing going as a single parent then when I'd been camping with DS's dad when we were together - he was useless and very annoying company grin. I have a tent I can put up myself but helped my friend with hers and I find other campers will usually offer help if they see people struggling.

I like that things take a while when camping - forces me to slow down and relax. Second getting a tent toilet.

I think on the question of how many nights you need at least 2 nights, we usually do 3.

RabbitSaysWoof Sun 14-Jun-15 21:11:30

Sorry to hijack, I have 3 year old ds and a dog if anyone fancies buddying up for a couple of nights camping in August.
The only thing stopping me just going is the whole make your own entertainment thing, would be awful if that just fell flat and turned to boredom with only the 2 of us.
I've looked into the LP group holidays which look fab, but I think they are drastically priced up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now