Talk

Advanced search

Moving home around the time of split up - good or bad thing for the kids?

(9 Posts)
littlecrystal Sun 16-Feb-14 21:48:41

I am in the process of selling my house and buying a smaller flat in a better, but more remote area about 2 miles away. My marriage is on the brink and now it got me thinking if the move is really a good thing. I will be away from my friends and social circle, will have to depend on a car every day and I am not sure how the move will affect the kids.

Also not sure if I got the energy for the move and settling in the new place.

Any advice here?

VelmaD Sun 16-Feb-14 22:48:05

It could be a good thing, a clean break, somewhere daddy has never lived? My marriage broke down three weeks after we moved house - my children were very young, but it meant I didnt have memories on every wall and in every room yet and could start afresh for the three of us.

cestlavielife Sun 16-Feb-14 23:14:40

2 miles isn't very far is it ? How old are the dc?

littlecrystal Sun 16-Feb-14 23:54:43

DC are 6 and 3. Everything is working on a clock now, i.e.childminder, nursery, afterschool club etc. 2 miles is not far but bus stop is far and there is a traffic every morning.

shey02 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:37:14

New place, new memories. Just yours. smile

Pannacotta Tue 18-Feb-14 17:26:56

Are you moving on your own, ie are you separated?
I would consider waiting but it depends hoe much convenience and having friends nearby matters to you.

cestlavielife Wed 19-Feb-14 16:23:32

do you have to move to this place? better move close to where you are now with everythinhg in place.

littlecrystal Thu 20-Feb-14 08:36:46

No I dont have to. I can still pull out. It was a move for a better area, better schools, but deeper in London suburbs so more remote and less convenient. I guess either way would be a good decision but I just cannot decide which one is better.

starlight1234 Thu 20-Feb-14 12:59:59

6 and 3 is a good age to move for the children..they easily adapt at this age...

2 miles is not so far you need to lose your social circle but great ages for building a new one...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now