Talk

Advanced search

Support for LP @ UNI

(10 Posts)
UNItil2017 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:57:54

Just needing a bit of a pep talk ,started degree in the autumn and it just doesn't feel right.Isolated socially and bringing up 7&8yo .I know it will mean security in the future but right now its just sucking the life out of me .Wondering if anyone else has been there done that.Just feel everyone else has so much support family ,partners ,money.Shiny happy people and I don't seem to have a lot in common with anyone .

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Wed 05-Feb-14 19:30:49

What are you studying? Do you love it?

Foxy800 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:39:40

I am a single mum with a 7 yr old with ADHD and Im doing an open university course and working. It is hard work and I understand completely where you are coming from.x

UNItil2017 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:52:16

Love the subject but soooo frustrating that I'm not enjoying it.I know if I had support out of uni I wouldnt be looking for it so much. I'm isolated at home and I guess I just thought this would be a great place to make friends. But just something missing for me.I guess no one is excited or passionate. I think that's what surprised me, it's all a bit dull.

Foxy800 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:07:08

I know what you mean about the isolation as with open uni you have online forums but mine is very quiet and a few tutorials.I just keep reminding myself it will be worth it in the long run.x

UNItil2017 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:09:41

Thankyou so much for your replies. I've been separated 4yrs divorced for 2. No contact from Exh for nearly 3yrs. He never replied to any solicitors letters.No maintenance. Been a massive journey and I think that kind of experience after 16yrs together, well if you can get thru that you can get thru most things I reckon.Anyway new life and all that. Only way I'm getting off benefits is to get a good job.Kids will be teenagers by time I'm qualified. just would have been great to find some like minds. THIS TOO SHALL PASS smile

Marnieshere Thu 06-Feb-14 19:39:34

Sounds like a great new adventure. What course are you doing? Is it an open university course? I've got a little baby and just enrolled on a course to start in April. I just done some reading and have realized how hard it's going to be, but like you say it's so going to be worth it in the end. Hang on in there we can do this! smile

UNItil2017 Thu 06-Feb-14 20:12:36

Thanks. It's f/t attend 3 days a week and out on placement the other 2 days for the next few weeks.Just felt a bit flat this week.Just need to get on with things.Think after the last few years I thought this would be really exciting and positive but just not feeling it.Possibly won't kick in til next yr.It's not the course itself so hopefully I will meet some friends along the way smile

ShineyBlackShoes Sun 09-Feb-14 15:40:35

My kids were 3&5 when I started my degree. After a year my mariage fell apart and I left after I graduated.
Yes it was isolating, as I was much older than the other students plus I had ten years of real world experience. I wasn't well read and was the only parent.
I stuck with it though and fourteen years later have a house, FT job, and my eldest graduated and my youngest is at Uni: I was the first person in my family to go to Uni so post 16 education wasn't anything on the radar.
Let your personal tutor know how you are feeling and see if there is a mature students group to go to. But stick with it, it will be worth it I promise.
Time management was my worst issue but there will be support for you if you ask for it.
Good luck

UNItil2017 Sun 09-Feb-14 18:47:10

Thanks Shiney. So great to read your message! Made an appointment to see my study advisor and I think some of us are going to start up a study group once a week.Think last week I realised how isolated I was becoming. Just need to work out how to do this and create as much support as I can. Thanks again for sharing your story, really helps xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now