Advanced search

Holidays and childcare

(12 Posts)
mrsericnorthmaniwish Fri 24-Jan-14 07:04:03

I have recently separated from stbxh, have three children, living with relatives atm(long story but he is in the family homesad) I have been a sahm and now I am having to find work or I will in the future when I am able, not able to cope with it all just yet-despite what the job centre thinksad I was just wondering how people manage in the holidays with childcare? I do have some help from family but they all work too and I can't expect them to help all the timesad any advice much appreciated smile

Foxy800 Fri 24-Jan-14 07:36:03

Friends, holiday clubs and my dd's Dad does some of it. Hope that helps. You can get some of the cost of holiday clubs back through tax credits.x

mrsericnorthmaniwish Fri 24-Jan-14 07:43:08

Thank yousmile Their dad is waste of time - his work was one of the reasons I left. Where do you find out about the holiday clubs please??

Tuckshop Fri 24-Jan-14 09:08:45

I use a combination of annual leave, holiday clubs and dd going to friends for the day. We get notified of loads through leaflets from school, but our local sport centres also run them. I can't claim those from tax credits though as they aren't Ofsted registered, but they are so cheap and dd loves going that I'm happy to pay.

If you think your ex is going to be difficult or unreliable just don't even factor his help in <voice of experience>.

mrsericnorthmaniwish Fri 24-Jan-14 09:34:57

Thank you, I will see what I can find outsmile I have ruled him out, he cant comit to anythingsad

JeanSeberg Fri 24-Jan-14 09:42:46

Do you have working friends with similar aged children? You could take it in turns to look after each others' children.

Also, if there is an after school club at school, they should be able to tell you about holiday clubs. Other working parents at school too will know of course.

Once you are in work, you could negotiate extra leave to cover the holidays or offer to do longer days during term-time to build up some time off.

I wish you the best of luck, it's difficult enough to cover the holidays when you have an ex who's happy to do 50%.

Back2Basics Fri 24-Jan-14 09:46:33

Leisure centres run all day activitys, holiday clubs and friends and family.

mrsericnorthmaniwish Fri 24-Jan-14 09:50:52

Many thanks for your replies, sounds stupid now but I am starting from scratch and don't really know where to start - your ideas have sent me on a mission - thank yousmile

Tuckshop Fri 24-Jan-14 10:45:11

It's not stupid at all. There are all sorts of things to think about when you separate and you have massive changes like you have.

insancerre Fri 24-Jan-14 10:51:54

Holiday clubs can be found in various places
leisure centres like the YMCA
day nurseries, Busy Bees have several holiday playschemes attached to their nurseries
community centres
private schools often have other providers who use the premises for holiday clubs

cestlavielife Sun 02-Feb-14 22:41:05 has clubs all over
Look on council website for list of all providers

Foxy800 Thu 06-Feb-14 21:36:33

Sorry only just seen this, my dds school sends out leaflets for the holiday clubs in the area and also I listen to word of mouth, ones friends have used.x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: