Advanced search

Desperately need advice re housing benefit

(6 Posts)
dancemom Sat 02-Nov-13 12:45:23

Yes you absolutely can claim HB for a rented property even if you still own a former marital property. There will be extra paperwork, mortgage valuation, equity calculation etc and if you sign property over to ex and get your share if equity that will be counted as capital but you can still get HB.

pinklady1107 Sat 02-Nov-13 12:38:07

I've been through a claim recently, house sold, lot more of a payout and was honest and upfront with the council. I filled in the forms and sent all bank statements etc and within 3 weeks I was awarded an amount of housing benefit each week.

I wasn't allowed to claim before the house sale although I have been renting for four years now.

Not sure what the 12 month thing is? But I was refuse the hb until my house sale was complete even though I didn't live there and was renting x

RandomMess Sat 02-Nov-13 12:12:03

Usually if you are divorcing regardless of what is happening about the house you can claim HB for 12 months.

Is the charity Sheleter open today? They should be able to advise you.

SpringtimeForHitler Sat 02-Nov-13 12:08:21


SpringtimeForHitler Sat 02-Nov-13 11:20:32

I have tried to call my local housing benefit office and they are closed til Monday ( the day I'm supposed to sign for my new tenancy) I tried Shelter but they were busy, going to try again in a mo.

SpringtimeForHitler Sat 02-Nov-13 11:19:11

I have recently split from my husband, though we are still in the same house.

We recently put the house on the market, I spoke to a benefits advisor and she said that if I could prove the house was on the market then I could claim housing benefit on a house I have found via a private landlord.

My H has now decided to take the house off the market.

If I sign the house over to him and he gives me half the equity (not much, about £1500) will I still be able to claim housing benefit? I'm worried they will say I have made myself intentionally homeless. If I can prove that I have legally signed the house over and no longer have any interest in it do you think I can still claim.

I'm terrified I'm going to be trapped here with him otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now