Advanced search

Passport advice

(18 Posts)
HotCrossPun Thu 03-Oct-13 17:58:29

cest Because it is a childs first passport you need the mothers details. He doesn't have the mothers passport number, so HMPO would need extra details, i.e mothers parents details, dates of birth, dates of marriage etc. He won't be able to get any details like that.

When somebody is applying for a passport for the child and the mother doesn't sign the declaration other criteria have to be satisfied. They don't just make up passports and give them out to anyone.

cestlavielife Thu 03-Oct-13 11:34:46

sorry scrap that -it does say you need PR -

cestlavielife Thu 03-Oct-13 11:32:28

but as hotcross said if you worred about him getting passport to then abduct her then call th passport office

cestlavielife Thu 03-Oct-13 11:31:45

have a look at the form online to see what he would need to include - i dont recall any quesion about PR of applicant for a child. PR of parent doesnt impact on nationlaity of child. and passpotr is about nationality and identity - not who has PR...

but he would need to get a signature for photo. for last applciations for my DC the people signing hav been contacted to get info on who they are and relation to me and to the child - they seem a lot more strict

cestlavielife Thu 03-Oct-13 11:29:02

cestlavielife Thu 03-Oct-13 11:22:02

he can easily get a cetified copy of birth certifcate (anyone can for anywone) and if his name is on it then he can apply for a passport for ehr. doesnt matter fi has PR or not - it is about estbalihsing identity/nationality.

he will need to put your details and nationality.


cls77 Thu 03-Oct-13 10:45:18

Thankyou HotCross xthanks

HotCrossPun Thu 03-Oct-13 08:24:57

Yep, it's the same number. They have a guide that they can look at that tells if somebody has PR or not.

An application for a first childs passport needs a birth certificate. He's not got that, he's not got your passport number, he wouldn't have your signature on the form. It would be a long process for him to get all the documents necessary to satisfy the examiner. So I wouldn't worry. But like I say, there are systems in place to stop it happening anyway if you are worried about it.

Best of luck thanks

cls77 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:49:36

Bless you thanks so much Hotcross, I have the certificate, he didn't even know how to pay a cheque into the bank when he left. However, he has his mum and nw to help him now and it frightens me. Thanks again I will ring them tomorrow, is the parental responsibility number the passport people too? Or am I being a bit thick?!!

HotCrossPun Wed 02-Oct-13 21:29:46

Also, if you want to get a definite answer on the parental responsibility thing then give them a phone - 0300 222 0000

HotCrossPun Wed 02-Oct-13 21:25:39

It's not scary. You just phone up and explain that you are separated and worry that because he is underhand that he will try and get a passport without you knowing. They just put a note on her name so that if a passport is applied for they will get in touch with you to check that you know about it.

He isn't contacted at all. Who has DD's birth certificate?

cls77 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:20:20

Ok thanks for the replies, Janey that's what I was reading today hence why I got confused. Hot cross it sounds scary to do that, although a good idea too. I just don't know what to do, she was born and registered before April 2002, but he is so underhand with everything it just scares me silly sad

HotCrossPun Wed 02-Oct-13 21:14:52

I used to work for HMPO. If he fills out a passport application form for your DD, section 4 asks for parents details. If he misses out your passport number, and then signs then declaration in section 9 then the chances are the examiner will contact him. This is because without your passport number he would need your parents details to establish DD's nationality. (Sounds a bit confusing I know.)

The jist of it is that he would most likely run in to difficulty trying to get a passport for her without your involvement.

If you are worried about him applying for a passport for her without your knowledge/consent you can contact HMPO and ask to be put through to the Caveat team. They can put a flag on any future applications for your DD.

janeyjampot Wed 02-Oct-13 21:07:45

Actually it is a bit ambiguous. I think the paragraph above means that he does have PR. But then it goes on to say:

If the child's parents are not married, the mother can give permission. The father can sometimes give permission but usually only if he:
-has a parental responsibility order or agreement
-has a residency order
-is named on the birth certificate and the birth was jointly registered on or after:
-15 April 2002 in Northern Ireland
-1 December 2003 in England and Wales
- 4 May 2006 in Scotland.

There are more notes about parents who are divorced:
"If parents are divorced a custody order or maintenance order will not automatically take away the parent's parental responsibility.

janeyjampot Wed 02-Oct-13 21:02:56

I've just applied for a passport for my DD, so I have the guidelines which come with the application here. It says:

Parental Responsibility:
A child under 16 must have permission from a person with parental responsibility. If a child's parents are married, either parent can give permission if they were:
-married at the time of the child's birth (or, for those living in Scotland, when the mother became pregnant), or
-married at any time after the child's birth.

cls77 Wed 02-Oct-13 20:56:22

Thanks starlight, I'm confused about the PR then, as the info I read said only if married unless the marriage was before the birth? Which ours wasn't!

starlight1234 Wed 02-Oct-13 17:34:53

not sure...I know I got my son a passport as my ex could apply but we were married at time of birth....

If he did have PR then he still has it...It isn't something he can loose.

cls77 Wed 02-Oct-13 17:02:11

Can someone advise on whether H who I am seperated from can get our DD a passport without my signature? We werent married when she was born (2002) and later married but did not re register her birth. Im getting conflicting info on the gov. website, so thought I would ask? Does he have parental responsibility only whilst we are still married, although he is with someone else now, or will it not be relevant as DD was born pre 2003 and birth wasnt re registered?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now