Advanced search

I'm now going it alone with my 1 year old son....what financial help is there for my unusual circumstance.

(3 Posts)
Blueforyou2 Wed 11-Sep-13 19:47:53

I am currently in the process of separating from my boyfriend .I am very very lucky in that a close relative recently left me some money in a will but it was stipulated that it was to buy a small property of our own so that myself and my 1 year old son have somewhere to live.
I know that I am very lucky but will buying somewhere to live stop me from being able to claim any benefits or getting any other financial help as I have only recently returned to part time work and do not take home enough to pay bills and food etc.
Any advice with this would be much appreciated.
thank you.

Hamwidgeandcheps Wed 11-Sep-13 21:44:21

Yes if it's more than 6k you have to declare it and it may stop you getting income support it I'm not sure. Of you are working it won't affect child/working tax credits

freemanbatch Wed 11-Sep-13 22:20:35

If you spend the money on a home the cash value of it will not effect your benefit entitlement. You will not be able to get housing benefit or mortgage interest help but then you won't need them because you will not have housing costs.

If you have over £6000 in savings that would effect your benefits but if you don't have that much left then you should be able to get Income support if you aren't working, child tax credit, council tax help and healthy start vouchers for your little boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now