Advanced search

Income support and maintenance

(14 Posts)
joasia1 Thu 05-Sep-13 17:46:42

Hi everybody,
Now that my husband has left and has not made any attempt to support us. I am considering giving up my part-time job as I am struggling to look after my 4 children the youngest which is disabled. I now I can do this, my question is if I go onto Income support how will this affect any future maintenance payments that the CSA may be able to get off my husband. Please can anyone help I have found various bits of information on the web but it is very contradictory.

RoonilWazlibWuvsHermyown Thu 05-Sep-13 17:53:36

I don't think it affects child maintenance at all. Your income does not affect how much your husband pays, only his own affects that.

calmingtea Thu 05-Sep-13 18:54:40

IS is not affected by maintenance as they don't count it as income. However you are (I believe) only eligible if your youngest is under 5 years old. entitled to - is a good website for calculating what you might be eligible for.

joasia1 Thu 05-Sep-13 19:08:59

I have asked income support whether I am eligible to apply. They say its ok as I am a carer for my disabled son. Do you know what might happen with my mortgage will they pay anything towards it or do I have to pay that out of the money they give me? I will have to move anyway as I only live in a 2 bed house with 4 children. But I don't know where I stand. I believe that my husband is supposed to provide a roof over our heads but considering he has given me nothing since he left then until my divorce is finalised which could take up to 6 months, what do I do?

bymoonlight Thu 05-Sep-13 19:21:22

You can claim SMI mortgage assistance once you have been claiming income support for 13 weeks provided no one else helps you pay the mortgage.

They pay out at an interest rate of just over 3 per cent, anything above that and you pay the rest. There are conditions. It has to be your only home and not above a certain value I think. Google it to find out more.

For the first 13 wks you have to pay the mortgage out of your IS, TC and CB.

I think under the new universal credit rules you can only claim mortgage assistance for two years so once you are moved onto UC from IS then you will be on a countdown till they stop helping you.

I would also look into where you stand once UC credit is introduced as a career. This might be difficult as no one seems to know much about UC yet.

What happens to the house depends on what you agree in the divorce. I was told that no one can force him to pay the mortgage, as long as he is on the mortgage he remains liable for it but this just means if it is repossed then he will held responsible for the debt, along with you. But no one can force him to make monthly unless you agree differently in the divorce.

calmingtea Thu 05-Sep-13 19:23:26

If you are eligible for IS it is a gateway benefit - i.e. you can apply for housing benefits. However, I don't know whether they pay mortgages. They would pay rent or a proportion of rent and council tax. Also if you sell your house and receive money i.e. you then have assets/savings of over £5500 or £6k, you will lose your benefits. It may be worth you talking to the CAB for advice. Regarding council tax get yourself registered as a single adult occupancy, as it reduces by 25%. If you get IS you may get child tax credits too.

bymoonlight Thu 05-Sep-13 19:23:46

*monthly payments

calmingtea Thu 05-Sep-13 19:25:23

If you get housing benefits, then you are eligible for free school meals, which also helps with 4 children. School uniform for secondary school aged children too, I read somewhere?

bymoonlight Thu 05-Sep-13 19:27:07

Council tax is now dealt with by your local council so you will have to phone them to see what help you will receive as every council different conditions and reductions.

bymoonlight Thu 05-Sep-13 19:31:35

In your situation, it would be universal credit I would be most interested in.

You need to find out (if possible) when it is being rolled out in your area and what the changes mean for careers.

Short term, under the current rules, IS may be the best idea but long term you will be moved onto UC where there is a lot of conditionality and seems harder to claim.

joasia1 Thu 05-Sep-13 19:34:17

Thank-you ever so much for all your advice. I have never had to claim benefits before as I worked full-time until I had may disabled son. I then had to take a part-time position on a low income to be able to attend all his hospital appointments. Now my future has been devastated by my horrible husband who is currently swanning around with his mistress aged 27 and he is 44. he has told the children he is going on holiday to Egypt to eleviate his stress. Meanwhile I have been left with 4 children and no financial support after 18 years of loyalty. Where is the justice in that? My friend is paying for my divorce as she wants to rid me of the emotional, financial and mental abuse I have suffered for years, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to do that.

eyebrowsfurrowed Thu 05-Sep-13 19:50:16

you poor thing I hope you find some solace soon. On the plus side atleast that horrible excuse for a man is no longer sharing a bed with you. First step done.

bymoonlight Thu 05-Sep-13 21:07:33

He is an arsehole.

It might not seem like it now but your future has been improved by him leaving, not devastated.

You are in a state of flux atm. It must feel quite overwhelming. Do it a step at a time and MN is always here to hold your hand and offer advice.


Hannah1990 Wed 11-Sep-13 15:48:20

I am in the process of separating from my partner and we have a 1 year old daughter who will stay and live with me.
I have been very very lucky in that my late father has recently left me enough money to purchase a small property outright for myself and my daughter.I am worried that by doing this that it might count against me if I need to claim income support and any other benefit I may require as I only work part time and earn around £700 per month.
I know that I am luckier than a lot of other new mums but I am still worried about future finances as I want to do the best for my daughter.

I would appreciate any advice on what I should do in my circumstances relating to financial help.
Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now