Advanced search

ex refusing to give passport details

(16 Posts)
cestlavielife Tue 23-Jul-13 11:45:11

the online just fills in details then sends you printed form so just put an X or whatever to allow it to take you to next box then when you get form home add covering letter or fill in section 8.

make sure the person signing photo and section to certify you is someone who wnot midn getting letter fom passport office they seme to be hot these days on writin g to person signing a form for child to check in what capacity they know you/child .

also they will write to you if they have queries - but do it now as it might delay passport . but if you british and ther eis no quesiton ove ryour nationality then it wont be a problem not having details for his dad

TalkativeJim Tue 23-Jul-13 11:41:45

Yes, just send in with covering letter saying father's details unknown and unobtainable.

I would then just go quiet on it with your ex - don't tell him you were able to send it in - he'll think you've given up, then you can give him a nice little surprise when he gets a postcard smile *

* disclaimer:this scenario suggested as OP says he doesn't bother with their son. If it would be the case that the father wouldn't even be aware of the trip unless he was told -ie he doesn't even see the child regularly every week - I wouldn't be asking his permission to go.

SwedishEdith Tue 23-Jul-13 11:37:16

Honestly, just ring the passport office and give as many details as you know. Agree that this must be a very common problem that they will have seen many times. Good luck

SacreBlue Tue 23-Jul-13 11:36:04

Maybe it's different if you ex has PR but I have had both British & Irish passports for my DS without ever having had contact with his father never mind info on the rest of his family.

Have a scroll back and check what information you actually need, often there are explanatory notes if things aren't clear.

SoupDragon Tue 23-Jul-13 11:32:40

On P7 here it says that if you are the only parent, you can fill in just your details and add a note to "section 8" explaining the situation.

You my need to fill in a paper version if the online one doesn't allow you to do this (all the online one is is a printing service for the form, not an application)

mummykayxx Tue 23-Jul-13 11:25:51

tried googling lol. Yeah hes just jealous because my dad has just come into a bit of money and wants to take us away for a week and he is just loving being awkward.

I don't know I was half way through a form and it said I needed thise details maybe I clicked on something wrong. think I'm going to have to say unknown. just so selfish he is refusing to let his child go on holiday for a week (when he sees him every other week!) for no reason! angry angry

SoupDragon Tue 23-Jul-13 11:25:06

I am sure this has cropped up on MN already this year. IIRC (and it's only vague) there wasn't a problem as the mother was British enough for the child to qualify.

Definitely phone the passport office.

Yonihadtoask Tue 23-Jul-13 11:22:12

I think I read somewhere that in the case of seprated parents, if the parent who isn't making the application doesn't want to give too many details then the passportf can still be issued.

I guess this will apply more if both/all involved are british citizens by birth.

Yes to phoning the passport office for advice on this. It probably is a common problem.

SwedishEdith Tue 23-Jul-13 11:17:37

Is the father British? I think the application only needs details of the child's parents not the father's. Am I misunderstanding something?

YDdraigGoch Tue 23-Jul-13 11:11:27

You could probably find out the grandparents' full names and DOBs with a bit of creative Googling.

I feel you pain, though as the father, he is entitled to prevent you from taking the child out of the country (I suppose - am making an assumption). Though, in your case, he seems to just enjoy being difficult.

You could always resort to "father's whereabouts unknown" or something - why don't you 'phone the Passport Office and ask them for advice.

mummykayxx Tue 23-Jul-13 11:06:46

online it said I need his mum and dad's full names and date of birth but he just won't give them to me. so angry

SwedishEdith Tue 23-Jul-13 11:02:10

If British, you don't need them. Do you know his full name, DOB,where born? That should easily be enough.

cestlavielife Tue 23-Jul-13 10:54:50

depending on what nationality you are and his parents are you mgiht not need those details, just leave blank or send a covering leter explaining not available.
it does depend tho if you are british no question about nationality and son is british and you going for british passport then it might not matter about nationality of his dad's parents etc.
call passport office - depends on what your nationality is etc to a degree.

mynameisslimshady Tue 23-Jul-13 10:53:55

Sorry but I wouldn't be happy dishing out my details either. Is there any way he could send the details directly to the passport office himself? He may be more willing to agree to that.

mummykayxx Tue 23-Jul-13 10:46:13

as in on holiday for a week not take him away forever, just read that back.

mummykayxx Tue 23-Jul-13 10:45:14

hi me and my dad are taking my son away in September. . obviously he needs a passport. I tried to do it online and it asked for details about his parents which he refused to give me. he is accusing me of being up to something. really annoyed that hes accusing me if god knows what when all I want to do is take my little boy away! ): spoke to his parents too, completely ignored me and joined in yhe bitchiness. he doesn't bother with our lb, he just wants to be in control if my life even though we haven't been together for ages! where do I go from here? :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now