Advanced search

Child passport question

(19 Posts)
gracehedley Wed 10-Jul-13 13:46:29

I am divorced and the main carer for our DS age 7. HIs father, my ex, wants to take him abroad on hols. This is fine. I said I will give him child's passport when they go. He says he does not trust me to hand over the passport (of course I will!) and he is going to declare it as lost and get a new one which he will then keep - can he do this? Not only a waste of money, but also lying to the passport office, and who is entitled to apply for a child's passport - either parent? Very unhappy about all of this!

BrianTheMole Wed 10-Jul-13 13:48:12

Why don't you give it to him now?

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 10-Jul-13 14:04:37

When are they going away? If the holiday is booked then his father will probably need the passport in advance of the trip, for checking in etc as all airlines need passenger details in advance.

I can see why he is frustrated, he is taking the child away on holiday, you are withholding the passport until they are actually leaving. Have you done other things in the past that makes him think you won't had the passport over on departure? He probably sees a wasted holiday as a bigger potential waste of money than a new passport.

If you are not taking the child on holiday yourself in the meantime then I can't see any reason not to hand it over.

gracehedley Wed 10-Jul-13 14:09:25

Yes we are going away first so I need it. He hasn't yet booked anything. No, not done anything to make him think I won't hand it over.

HotCrossPun Wed 10-Jul-13 14:16:34

If you were married when your child was born and you registered the birth together then he has parental responsibility and can sign section 9 of the form to consent to his child having a passport.

On section 4 of the form it will ask for your details and passport number.

If he doesn't have that then the likely hood is HMPO will get in touch with him about the application and perhaps ask you to write in consenting to your child having a passport.

In the case of children's lost HMPO are a lot more diligent when it comes to checking the circumstances of the lost.

It's a silly idea IMO. If you genuinely did lose your childs passport later on down the line and applied for another replacement there is a possibility your child would be put on a restricted passport.

You should sort it out amongst yourselves.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 10-Jul-13 14:21:45

oh I see its him being a knob grin

tell him he can have the passport when he has booked a holiday, and certainly not before you return from your hols.

(sounds like he will accept a reasonable suggestion like that eh????)

fuckwittery Wed 10-Jul-13 14:33:26

So he is going to cancel the passport while you are on holiday?
Does he know you are going on holiday? Can't you just agree to give it to him after you return?
You need a specific issue order that you keep the passport and give it to him for agreed holidays if he is going to be a knob about it
Do you have any concern at all that he might not return your child to this country; does he have any links to other countries?

gracehedley Wed 10-Jul-13 14:59:13

Yes I think he is being a knob too.
Says going to cancel passport NOW.
Says won't book anything till he has the passport in his possession.
Not concerned that he won't bring DS back btw.
It makes me weary, the whole thing.

titchy Wed 10-Jul-13 15:05:40

Give him a photocopy so he can book tickets.

Alert passport office it is NOT lost or stolen.

HotCrossPun Wed 10-Jul-13 15:20:15

He can't cancel the passport immediately, he would need to pick up an LS01 form and send that in to the passport office to do that.

If you are not worried about him taking DS out of the country then you just need to spell it out to him that you can't cancel and reapply for passports willy-nilly, it could affect DS and his ability to get a full passport in future.

gracehedley Wed 10-Jul-13 15:28:46

Yes, I have given him the number and the info he needs. Can I tell the passport office it isn't lost?

HotCrossPun Wed 10-Jul-13 15:36:30

Phone the passport advice team and ask to be put through to the Caveat team at your catchment office.

They can put blocks on people applying for passports for children, so you can tell them that he has said he is falsely going to declare DS's passport lost so he can apply for another one.

HotCrossPun Wed 10-Jul-13 15:37:54

0300 222 0000

gracehedley Wed 10-Jul-13 15:47:19

Thank you hotcrosspun

fuckwittery Wed 10-Jul-13 16:00:59

You should definitely speak to the passport office for advice and confirm the passport is still in your possession.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 10-Jul-13 16:19:11

Does he know you will be abroad with DS?

gracehedley Wed 10-Jul-13 22:00:32

yes he does know. He likes to make life difficult for me - part of his revenge plan as I initiated divorce hmm

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 10-Jul-13 22:16:27

What a nightmare and how awful; I'm speechless that he could leave you both stranded if the passport is cancelled.

Good luck, I feel for you, and hope that some of the advice that others have given works out for you.

Flibbertyjibbet Thu 11-Jul-13 11:05:30

Oh dear I am so sorry that he's putting you to all this stress when you should be looking forward to your own holiday!

Please come back and update after speaking to the passport office, I am hoping that falsely declaring a passport missing is a criminal offence with a big fat punishment which would then put him off doing it just to get at you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now