Advanced search

Need Help

(6 Posts)
gabriella2013 Fri 07-Jun-13 11:55:33

I am a ?prisoner? in my own home and have been for the past 5 months. My landlord is refusing to properly treat an infestation of mice. The landlord of the building is Swan Housing Association and those living in the building were homed through Tower Hamlets Council. My 2 year old son and I have been living in the smallest room of our two bedroom flat because the situation has got so desperate despite repeated visits from pest control to my flat. The estate is a ?mice hotel? because the rodents are living in the partition wall construction and so need to be eliminated from every flat for the problem to go away. The situation is dire and demeaning. The mice are running around constantly, countless droppings need to be got rid of every day and I?m worried about my son who picks things up off the floor. According one of the GP from the Bromley-by-Bow Health Centre who refused to give me his name, there is no risk that these creatures might carry and spread infection. He also refused to visit my son after I reported that he had been playing with the urine secretions left by the mice. It isn't easy to bring up my son in these conditions; both of us are under a great deal of stress and this is compounded by the refusal of anybody to address the problem.
Despite 5 months of repeated contact with Philippa Drummond, Neighbourhood Services Officer; Reginald Davies, Neighbourhood Services Manager; Craig Lambeth, Project Officer; Alethea Dougall, Head of Resident Involvement & Communication; Vicky Sterry, Customer Feedback Co-ordinator nothing has been done at all. Solicitors have informed me that since April legal aid is now being denied to tenants wishing to take their housing association to court. As a social housing tenant it appears nothing can be achieved by contacting anybody appointed to help me.
Within the last 4 months, I have written to Jim Fitzpatrick MP on 3 occasions and have visited his surgery twice although neither time was he in attendance. The only reply I have had is an automatic message says he will respond by 12 hours which he used to promote himself to the tenants of the block.
Within the last 3 months, I have visited councillors Ann Jackson and Joshua Peck neither of whom have made any effective inroads into tackling the problem. I was passed to Jon Baston, Tower Hamlets Council Health and Housing Team who asked me to write a non-specific complaint to their website.
Within the last 2 months, the stress of dealing with un-responsive bureaucracy has affected my health to the degree that I?ve been admitted to casualty; I lost consciousness in front of my son. Would you like your child to live like this?

ciderwithrosie1 Fri 07-Jun-13 15:12:08

Can you move to a different housing association flat in another area or are you very settled where you are? Maybe you can suggest that if they don't intend to do anything about it, they should rehouse you elsewhere and put a different tenant in there? It sounds totally unacceptable to me!

NumTumDeDum Fri 07-Jun-13 15:15:10

There might be some pro bono schemes in your area, try citizens advice to see if they know of any. I do know some good housing solicitors in Notting Hill but as you say, legal aid has been cut.

niceupthedance Fri 07-Jun-13 17:23:26

No I wouldn't want my child to live like that, how awful for you.

I second the CAB, also have you tried contacting any local media?

NumTumDeDum Fri 07-Jun-13 17:26:11

Also repost in Legal Matters. There are a lot of solicitors on the boards, like myself, but I know next to nothing about housing.

Jenna12t Tue 23-Feb-16 12:28:08

Hi Gabriella2013

I know this is a really old post but I am current in the exact same issue you previous had currently living in bow, swan housing and Phillipa is also my housing officer. An I wanted to know how you rule resolved the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now