Advanced search

If ex lives in another country is it possible to get child support off him?

(9 Posts)
Juniperdewdropofbrandy Fri 17-May-13 20:33:39

My dn has 2 children to a man who she used to live with. For over a year he's lived in Italy and is earning a regular wage. She gets nothing from him.

He's always pleading poverty and sends the odd bit of cash to the dds. But nothing regular and in fact not much at all.
Yet he has the latest gadgets and nice clothes hmm

She seems to think because he's in Italy he doesn't have to cough up? Ist this right? He's British.

Does anyone know if there's a way she can get him to give her a regular amount?


Juniperdewdropofbrandy Fri 17-May-13 20:34:31

Is not Ist!

Bluepenny Sat 18-May-13 22:51:10

Unfortunately, unless the CSA have been involved and she received maintenance whilst he was in the UK, it falls outside of what they will get involved with to chase up an absent parent in another country.

There is a list of countries UK has agreements with, but it needs that CSA connection prior to them going abroad.

In the same boat here to a degree, but my XP does pay voluntarily (UK citizen, residing the other side of the world!). If he stops paying, I've no way of any legal enforcement action.

It's a warning to all really - involve the CSA just in case they move abroad!

Juniperdewdropofbrandy Sat 18-May-13 23:38:48

Thanks Bluepenny. The company is a Uk based one.

Bluepenny Sat 18-May-13 23:46:02

Ahh, so he is employed by a UK company but based in Italy? That changes things!

I'm not good with links, but copy and paste this one into a browser and you'll see the CSA can help if the company is UK based and registered.

Good luck (and sorry for duff info before!)

Juniperdewdropofbrandy Sat 18-May-13 23:48:16


chattylady61 Mon 20-May-13 09:05:05

I am in same situation and took legal advise on this. Brace yourself for bad news! The CSA can only help if there is UK income although UK residency is not needed. If there is UK income they can trace through inland revenue and make direct deductions. If no UK income then you can get a court order for anxillary relief and then seek to get it enforced through foreign courts (Not sure if Italy is signatory to the treaty but I expect so as in EU. My ex is in USA). However obviously costs and times of this is likely to be more than you will ever get back...

chattylady61 Mon 20-May-13 09:12:41

ps just saw on the above website that rules are different in EU so might need to ignore above!

Juniperdewdropofbrandy Mon 20-May-13 13:03:50

Sorry to hear about your situation chatty.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: